And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them." -Numbers 13:32-33
Have you ever felt like a grasshopper? I mean, have you ever felt like everyone around you was bigger and better than you? I suppose that's how the Israelites were feeling when they were sent to explore the land of Canaan. It was believed back then in their culture that the Nephilim were a race of giants that were created by presumably fallen angels and daughters of men. I have found no biblical evidence of this on my own, but still, I can imagine that the "giant-sized" men were rather intimidating to the Israelites.
There was one man who was bold enough to speak up and think differently though. His name was Caleb.
Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it." -Numbers 13:30
Caleb was a man who believed God would do exactly what He promised... give them the land! He was not intimidated by the "appearance" of the people currently living there. Instead, he was confident that with God on their side, they would prevail.
Oh to have that kind of confidence! I myself have walked into situations where I felt rather small. Or perhaps someone just said something to me or about me that made me feel that way. It's times like those that I wish I could have the positive outlook that our friend Caleb had.
The story goes on to say that none of the Israelites that tested God and grumbled and complained against Him would set foot in the promised land. They wandered in the desert for 40 years where their children served as shepherds, suffering for their parent's unfaithfulness. After 40 years, their children were finally allowed to enter in and enjoy the land that their parents rejected. Only Joshua and Caleb survived to inherit the promised land together with their children.
"But because my servant Caleb had a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it." -Numbers 14:24
How certain are you that God keep his promises, no matter how big the obstacles look, and how small you may feel? Are you willing to follow Him wholeheartedly, no matter what? I am! And I want to pass a generational blessing onto my children. I don't want them to suffer for my mistakes the way that the Israelite's children suffered.
Father, change my heart and give me a different spirit, like your servant Caleb. Create in me the kind of confidence that Joshua and Caleb had in You. I want to follow after You wholeheartedly, unafraid of the giants in my life.
In Your Mighty Name,
Amen
1 comment:
Oh how I want that spirit too! One that follows after Him wholeheartedly! Great devotion, Melissa! Thanks for sharing. I love hearing what God is impressing on the hearts of my sisters!
Post a Comment