Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Am Thankful...

I think it's about time for another 10 things Tuesday list. I haven't seen X-Box Wife this week yet, but that doesn't mean I can't choose to be thankful! :)
  1. I am thankful for peace and quiet. I am sitting here in my living room listening to worship music and enjoying an empty house. This doesn't happen very often. Usually even when kids are at school, I have two extras at home with me. My DH took a trip out to Walla Walla and with him he took my two youngest children. The result is that I get two whole hours all to myself! You would think I would spend that cleaning and getting things done, but not today. I'm just taking a mini retreat, sipping my latte, and being thankful.
  2. I am thankful that my DH is only gone for one day. I missed both him and the kids last night. I look forward to seeing them and getting hugs all around when they get home tonight. It's good to miss them, and it's good to be missed, but I will be thankful when they get home.
  3. I am thankful that my brother in law is willing to let us use his car while he is gone over seas this year. That's what my DH is in Walla Walla to do...pick up the car. I am also thankful for my sister in law who took her one day off this week to travel there so we could pick up the car.
  4. I am thankful for the new furnace that is on it's way this week. Ours has a crack in it and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. Not only did God provide the means for that, He also provided someone in our church to install it, saving us about $800.
  5. I am thankful for our health. RH seems to have gotten over her Strep. Looking back, we made it through most of January without any illnesses. I pray the same for February.
  6. I am thankful for extended family both on my side and my husband's side. We could not make it in this economy if it weren't for our loving family. Be it food, a little extra money, or supplies for the household, our families have really pitched in to help us during hard times. Most recently, I am thankful for my DH's Grandma, who sent a very sweet letter along with some money. Her example of how important family is has been such a blessing to me over the years.
  7. I am thankful that my own grandma is recovering from her fall in a home where she is being taken care of by a skilled nurse. She hurt her knee and her ribs when she fell. She's 95 years old, lives in her own place, and amazes me at how active she still is. (Actually, she's where I get my stubborn "I want to do it all myself'" attitude from!) I am thankful that her kids were around to help take care of her when she fell.
  8. I am thankful that we have the room in our home to extend the invitation for a friend at church to live here for a while. I love having the capability to offer up our home to meet his need. We have done it in the past for family and friends and this is no different. I love the chance to practice hospitality!
  9. I am thankful that the sun is shining bright again today...even though they say the groundhog saw his shadow yesterday!
  10. I am ever so thankful for God's Word. I am reading through the bible chronologically this year. It reads more like a story this way and I'm seeing new things that I never noticed before. I am also memorizing two verses a month and that has already had a huge effect on my thought life and attitude.

Well, I hope X-BOX Wife is doing well, my prayers are with her. I am very glad I stumbled upon her blog because she reminded me that there is always something to be thankful for. What kinds of things are you thankful for this week?

1 comment:

Nieman Family said...

I did mine too. I keep checking back with Xbox but as we both know sometimes life isn't as planned. Nice list. Looks like we both had furnace issues on our list this week. Yes, the hardware store carrys our part its the ignitor switch and has gone out every winter since we moved in ten years ago.