Thursday, February 12, 2009

He Sustains Me

(Scroll down for Company Girl Coffee.)
I am 35 years old, and I am starting to gray. Sometimes when I look in the mirror it makes me feel rather old to see gray hair sprouting out here and there. I really can't afford to dye my hair every month so there they are, sticking out like a sore thumb! I am trying to have a sense of humor about it though. After all, I do have 5 children! I can blame it on them, right?

Today I remembered a verse in the bible that talks about gray hair. It was rather comforting to read these words... "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life." -Proverbs 16:31

When I was looking up the word "gray" in my concordance, I also found another comforting verse. "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." -Isaiah 46:4

The words "sustain" and "carry" in the Hebrew have a very similar definition meaning "to lift up, carry, take, sustain, or support." The Hebrew word for "rescue" is deliver, or save.

Now, I don't consider myself "old" yet, but it is very comforting to know that as the years go by, and change takes place and this body begins to age, there is one thing that remains the same. The God who made me will sustain me...even carry me when I need Him most. He is the great I AM. Never changing, ever present. For this, I am eternally grateful.

How has He sustained you lately?

3 comments:

Beth Herring said...

I too have been finding a few stray gray hairs lately. I am 46 years old and not quite ready to do the hair dye thing. But I will when it get's noticeable! I love the scripture though - puts a new meaning to what they represent.

Thanks for the word!
In Him
Beth

One More Equals Four said...

I am 36 years old with only 4 children and the gray is overtaking the rest! I choose to think it makes me look distinguished! Thanks for a great post! Praise God his mercies are new every morning, I for one need that!

Dani said...

I didn't have any gray hair until I started teaching...so yes, you can blame it on kids :) But its ok...I know on men, gray hair can make them look more wise or...I don't know, they just age better. But I think on women, it makes us look more tender sometimes.

Anyway, I think you look beautiful in your pictures...and just think how much more gray we may be if God wasn't carrying and sustaining us...so much more a struggle!