By the time I left my house this morning for church, I was very discouraged. Since my DH is on staff at our church, his position requires him to be there early to set up and get ready for service. That leaves it up to me to get the kids ready, pile them into the van, and drive them to church every week. It seems like every Sunday something comes up that makes life rather difficult for me. I have been battling a cold lately so I didn't sleep very well last night. I spent 15 minutes looking for my 2 year old's 2nd shoe. (You'd think I'd get him another pair for such an occasion!) Then BC decided to whine when LR took "his spot" in the van. Finally though, I took a deep breath, crawled into the driver's seat, and backed out of the driveway.
On the way there, I found myself questioning if my heart was right. Was I prepared to go and meet with God in church with my mindset? Why do I always end up with the same grumpy attitude on Sunday mornings? I know that once we are there, it is worth every ounce of effort that it takes to make it. I am always glad that we went.
Today's message was titled "What's it Worth to You?" The real question that the Pastor was getting at was "What is HE worth to you?" We all find time to fit into our lives what we value. One of his points was that each congregation member that showed up today valued God and this church enough to attend this morning. We all carved out time in our day to make it to church. I'm pretty sure that his sermon and its timing were NOT coincidence this morning. It was exactly what I needed to hear.
At the end of service we always sing one more song but this week we sang two. The second song was a familiar one and it started like this:
When we see you, we find strength to face the day.
And in your presence all our fears are washed away.
We sang that over and over again and I began to laugh as I was singing (if that's possible to picture). I get it Lord. I understand what You are trying to tell me. It doesn't matter that I'm going home to the breakfast dishes and unwashed laundry and grocery lists that need to be made. I am in Your presence NOW. That's where I find the strength to face my day ahead. And all of my tomorrows. HE is my strength.
And I left church the opposite of how I left home this morning. I was quite encouraged. Thank goodness the Lord knows just what I need.
Isaiah 12:1-3
In that day you will say:
"I will praise you, O LORD.
Although you were angry with me,
your anger has turned away
and you have comforted me.
Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The LORD, the LORD is my strength and song;
he has become my salvation."
With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.
2 comments:
I feel the same way on Sunday mornings...I believe Satan wants Sunday mornings to go as badly as possible...to try to hinder our worship, but when we persevere (is that how you spell that) and just get to the church...God's blessing is always so great. And yes, God must have an awesome since of humor. It always seems on my grumpiest mornings, the sermon is directly related to me correcting my attitude!
I have very much been in your shoes and it is really hard! My husband and I finally developed a Saturday night routine that made Sunday mornings easier - and we committed to being in bed no later that 10 on Saturday nights just so that we'd be well rested to face the dragons of a Sunday morning in the parsonage! I promise that is does get a bit easier as the children grow up and mature - and my hands were a bit less full than your since we just have the two blessings - by God's design.
If you'd like to peak at my quick hints here's the place to look:
http://quietrest.blogspot.com/2006/10/saturday-night-routine-shoe-care.html
Post a Comment