Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Didn't I Just Do That Yesterday?

I've been thinking a lot today as I've been crossing things off my "to do" list. Many times throughout my day I find myself asking the question "didn't I just do that yesterday?" The answer to that is most often "yes." Sometimes the answer is "no," but then it's followed by "you just did that 10 minutes ago." I often find myself cleaning up messes only to have one of my children, or even my husband follow behind me making new messes. It's like being in the Twilight Cleaning Zone. You never know what new mess you're going to find when you turn around!

Most days I don't mind. If I catch the mess maker in the act, I will even politely (or sometimes not so politely) ask them to clean it up. Sometimes, though, I leave the mess with the thought "I'll get to that tomorrow." This is where it gets dangerous for me. Tomorrows can really add up if you let them. That's why I have a list, or a routine, that I refer to on a daily basis.

I have heard this list called many things. In fact, I have changed what I call mine several times. It's currently labeled "Cleaning Specifications," (thanks to Katherine, over at Raising Five) and I have one for each room in my house. Whatever you call it, it is a necessary part of life and without it, sanctuary can quickly turn tsunami. The clutter and mess slowly takes over until it becomes just plain overwhelming.

I am determined not to let that happen. I have to confess. I am NOT a neat person by nature. I'll be honest about that. I have to work hard at keeping my home even half way decently clean. I struggle just as much as the next woman with balancing my "to do" list with my "to live" list. That's why I always come back to my basic Cleaning Spec. List. If I can keep up on the basics, I may be able to keep my head above water. I might, on a good day, even get ahead of the game!

Proverbs 31:27 "She looks well to how things go in her household, and the bread of idleness (gossip, discontent, and self-pity) she will not eat." (Amplified)

1 comment:

Not your Happily Ever After said...

It is definitely a hard thing to keep up with everything when you have so many littles in the house. I try to work on one area for ten minutes. I have two or three hot zones for each day of the week. This is of course on top of picking up toys, making beds, dishwasher, and laundry.