This year I had everything set up (at least in my mind) for a delightful Thanksgiving Day here at home. I decided to keep it easy and just go with a simple menu.
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
- Fruit Salad
- Green Beans
- Biscuits
- Apple Cider
- Chocolate Pie for Dessert
I bought everything in advance and planned out a schedule for prep work and baking time. As the big day drew closer, I was feeling kind of smug. Pretty organized for my first time doing this alone. Little did I know how quickly plans can change.
First glitch...We had company over on Tuesday night. No problem. It was our usual night of the week when we get our family together with our good friends. Dinner was in the crock pot for the evening so it would be a breeze. All I had to do was remember to put the turkey in the brine after they left so it could soak for 24 hours. Oops. That's a problem. I was so tired that I just crawled into bed and forgot all about the turkey. Until 7:00am the next morning when I opened the fridge and slipped into a panic! I'm happy to report, though, that soaking it for 5 less hours didn't ruin the turkey. : )
Second glitch...Tuesday morning I took 4 out of 5 of my kids to the doctor to get a flu shot. (One had already gotten hers) It was time for my two youngest children's annual appointments anyway, so I thought I would just get it all out of the way at once. I wasn't, however, thinking about possible side effects and the fact that Thanksgiving was only two days away.
Wednesday passed with no visible side effects. LR had her 4 year shots, so her leg was a little swollen, but not bad. I woke up early Thursday morning to the wonderful smell of smoked turkey roasting in the oven. Whew! My husband remembered to put it in before he came to bed.
Things were looking good. But wait...what's that I hear? Yep. It's a kid throwing up in the bathroom! Oh no! I went in to comfort him, helped him get washed up, and settled him on the couch with cartoons while I set to preparations. Next thing I know, I hear him back in the bathroom again. Huh? He's still on the couch! Not another one! Sigh.
Despite these little glitches, our Thanksgiving was a happy one. We spent a quiet day watching the parade, napping, and cheering our favorite football teams. Dinner did come together and we sat around the table as a family, sick kids and all. The two that were sick in the morning felt better that evening so even though I can't prove it, I'm pretty sure it was the flu shot.
The turkey turned out great and we have plenty of leftovers. It was nice to have my brother in law at the table with us, knowing that soon he will be going on tour with the military over seas. We'll see him again around New Year's, but then his nieces and nephews won't see him again for a year.
If there's one thing I learned this year on Thanksgiving, it's that there is much to give thanks for, no matter what your circumstances. Glitches happen and plans change, but I am forever thankful for family.
I Thess. 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 comment:
Holidays are so busy. There is much to be thankful for.
Post a Comment