Friday, November 7, 2008

Small Things on the Go

This week, I had a very scary incident with my 7yr old daughter. On Monday night, she began throwing up and she continued well into Tuesday. When it didn't stop and she couldn't keep even a tablespoon of liquid down, I called her pediatrician. On Wednesday morning I took her in to the doctor. From there, they sent us to the ER, where they immediately put her on an IV for dehydration. They drew some blood, and when the results came back, I was told that she would be admitted to the hospital overnight.

There, I stayed with her overnight, comforting her by holding her hand, praying with her when she was afraid, and sleeping by her side on a cot. When she wanted water, I held the cup and straw to her lips. When she was finally hydrated enough that she needed to pee, I helped her by wheeling her IV along side her into the bathroom. I am so thankful for the doctors and nurses that helped get her on the road back to health.

We were able to come home yesterday, and she is resting peacefully. I wanted to take a minute to share this story because I discovered something about small things while I was caring for my daughter. They are not just something that you do at home. By Rachel Anne's definition, small things are the "simple activities" that we do to make our home a sanctuary for our family. I would take that one step farther, and say that small things include anything that we do inside or outside of the home to make our family feel loved.

Thank you, Rachel Anne, for helping me realize that sanctuary is in the small things. Now I know that sanctuary is not just something that happens at home. It exists in my heart, and it's in the small things that I do, wherever I go.

5 comments:

samantha said...

Wow! I bet that was scary. If my daughter was that sick, I think I would cry. I am so glad that she is getting better. I have been praying.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord she is doing better! We will keep your family in our prayers. Sounds like a little extra prayer couldn't hurt this weekend.

Becky said...

I'm glad she's doing better, and you were able to be with her. Was it a stomach bug that went out of control? Poor thing. Hoping and praying the rest of your family stays well!

Rachel Anne said...

I'm so glad she's doing better! There's nothing worse than seeing your child so helpless and sick.

If you think about it, life is made up of millions of small things that add up. I like how you took it a step further....outside the house into the broader world. Great stuff!

Rebecca said...

How traumatic for you both! I'm glad she is home on the mend and I hope that she completely heals up soon!