Thursday, March 27, 2008

We're Good

Yesterday I was not having the best of days. It wasn't any big thing that went wrong, it was just a bunch of little things that added up throughout the day and then by dinner time, I was a wreck. As I was preparing dinner, my youngest son stood at my feet crying. The other four kids were being rowdy and loud playing with their dad and in the heat of my frustration I yelled at my husband "WOULD YOU PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THE BABY WHILE I GET DINNER READY!"

He very calmly picked up our son and said as he walked away "Don't yell at me in front of the kids."

I immediately knew in my heart that I should not have shouted. Later, when I had the time to apologize, he said "We're good" and gave me a hug. He's like that. Never been one to hold a grudge.

I know someone else who's like that. His name is Jesus. He is the author of forgiveness. His love is unconditional. And when we come to Him with our mistakes, He says to us "We're good."

My husband is forgiving. My Lord is forgiving. So why didn't I feel better? The answer: I needed to forgive myself. We all make mistakes from time to time. In the heat of the moment I lost it and yelled at my husband. The important thing is to receive forgiveness and learn from the moment. Then next time I feel myself about to explode, hopefully I will handle the situation differently. For now, I am giving myself grace, and room to grow. I am going to say to myself "We're good."

Psalm 103:12 "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

1 comment:

Andrea P. said...

I saw a shirt yesterday at Walmart that reminds of this post. It read:

T.G.I.F.
Thank God I'm Forgiven

Love you, A.