Monday, March 17, 2008

Menu Matters

Since we were on the topic of Menu Making at Home Sanctuary today, I thought I would share a few of my thoughts on the idea of having a weekly menu. Here are some of the reasons why I plan my menu every week:

  1. It helps me to create a grocery list and keep on budget.
  2. I can plan around our schedule so there aren't any surprises or scrambling on the days we have something going.
  3. I don't get to the end of my day and stress out about what's for dinner.

Here are a few things that I did when I first started menu planning and still implement today:

  1. I gathered together my recipes in files marked "everyone likes", "adults like", "kids' favorites" and "would like to try".
  2. I try to use a crock pot recipe at least once a week.
  3. I try to use a "double it and freeze it" meal at least once a week.
  4. I have a breakfast night (it's easy and fast!)
  5. I have a leftovers night.
  6. If it fits, I have a new recipe night too.
  7. There's always room for pizza (homemade or otherwise) or take out! : )

Just a few more notes:

  • Coupons are your friend!
  • I don't stress if we detour from the menu. You have to leave room for last minute change if necessary.
  • I stock up my pantry with staples. No pantry? I use a wall of shelves in my laundry room due to lack of space in my kitchen!
  • When I make a menu, I type out all of the recipes and keep them in a clear sheet protector. I also make a list of groceries needed with it so that I can just grab that and add any extra groceries to it that I need when I shop. All of my menus then go into a binder. I am up to 8 now!

There you have it. If a busy mom of 5 can menu plan, anyone can do it! Happy eating! : )

Proverbs 31:15b ...she provides food for her family...

1 comment:

Rachel Anne said...

Hey Melissa, Glad you're feeling better!

Great thoughts on menu planning. I've noticed that I've become far more lax now that 2 of my 3 kids are gone, but the years of having a basic outline to follow make it so easy to fly by the seat of my pants these days. I just have to remember not to make TOO much food! I made chicken/veg soup the other day and it was enough for an army. I ended up giving some away to my neighbors.

Easter menu will be easy this year because everyone will bring something to a big get together. For once we are not hosting (yea!) so I get to show up with a vegetable and dessert instead of preparing for days beforehand. Nice!

Your sausage rice casserole sounds wonderful!