Last night I went to church with my oldest three children and my DH stayed home with the youngest two, who are still suffering from a bad cold.
The sermon was about being too busy. The passage was the very familiar one about Mary and Martha when Jesus came to visit their home. At first I thought to myself "I am the opposite of busy!" I am a SAHM with no car during the day, so I can't even run errands unless my husband is home. I can't commit to coffee meetings with friends, or volunteering at school. I basically spend a majority of my time here in my home, and I am content to do so.
To some, that might seem great. You might even think that I've got it all together. Far from it. After talking to a friend last night I realized that I really am busy. It's just a different kind of busy. I am busy doing dishes, washing laundry, picking up toys, mopping floors, cleaning up messes, and completing other important tasks on my "to do" list at home.
My friend confessed that even though she stayed home with her kids when they were young, she wasn't really there for them a lot of the time. She was cleaning out closets and keeping busy around the house, but was missing out on the important thing. Time with her family.
Because of her honesty, I now have a new perspective about being at home. I am blessed with five beautiful children that need me. They need me to spend time with them and show them my love. Housework is important too, but there has to be a balance.
This week I am going to stop and think before I say "Not right now, I'm busy." Keep a schedule, yes. At the cost of missing out on quality time with my family? No. I choose family. I choose to slow down and enjoy this time at home with my kids. It is, after all, "the better thing."
Luke 10:41-42 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
No comments:
Post a Comment