I haven't posted in a while because our family has been so sick. This time around I got it and it put me out of commission for days. We're all on the mend now though, which is encouraging.
The other day I was watching tv and I saw one of those MC commercials with the trail of money spent and then at the end it says "priceless." Our budget has been kind of tight lately so we have really put a halt on unnecessary spending. I think the commercial is very creative, but who says you have to spend money to make priceless memories?
I was talking on the phone with my mom a few days ago and she gave me some of the best advice I have ever received from her. I told her that we were pinching pennies, and she said "When you were little and we didn't have a lot of money we had to get very creative. The best thing you can do is find projects around the house to do together as a family. Sort toys, clothes, even papers with your kids. They'll love it just because they're spending time with you. You're also teaching them the value of working and organizing. Or give them a box and some crayons and markers and let them decorate it to make their own spaceship or car. Encourage them to use their imagination. The best memories in life are made using little or no money."
She's right. Some of my best memories are counting nuts and bolts, (we had a hardware store) or building forts out of blankets and furniture. It doesn't matter how many times I line up and dress up all of my daughter's barbies, she loves it every time. The other day the whole family went out into the yard for "clean-up" time after a long hard winter. It was so fun to watch my kids get so much joy out of working in the yard together. Together, we're working on building a few priceless memories of our own.
No comments:
Post a Comment