Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Looking Back and Laughing

I wanted to post a funny story about my fifth anniversary. It was almost 8 years ago. I had great expectations for our 5 year. We didn't have kids back then so we made reservations at a fancy hotel suite. I had been hinting for weeks that I would like diamond studs for a present. I am not good at waiting so the morning of our big day I gave him a big kiss with his present. He thanked me and got ready for work. After work, we went out to a nice dinner and a movie, packed up our bags, and went to our hotel suite. They even upgraded us at not cost because our room was next to a room where they were doing some construction. It was almost perfect. All I needed was my diamond studs to put the icing on the cake.

Time passed and no present. We explored the hotel and went to a wine tasting. No diamonds. In the mean time, I was getting pretty upset. I mean, didn't he get the hints I gave him about what I wanted? Finally, just before we went to bed, I asked. I said "honey, this has been a great anniversary. I have really enjoyed everything. But I have to admit, I am a little upset that you didn't get me anything." (It probably didn't come out as sweet as I'm making it sound.)

After hearing me out and letting me cry, he said "I guess you didn't see the box sitting on the night stand when you woke up this morning!"

Boy did I feel terrible. All that time I thought he had just forgotten!

That's the story of why my earrings are my favorite piece of jewelry and I'll never jump to conclusions about my husband's gift-giving abilities again.

No comments: