Friday, March 6, 2009

Company Girl Coffee 3.6.09



Welcome! I have to be honest with you and tell you I am still in my cozy bathrobe and a bit sleepy. But the coffee is warm and there is plenty. :) I was spoiled with last week's weather that almost reached the 50's, so this morning I am a bit chilled with it in the low 30's. It even snowed yesterday.

Have you been doing your laundry this week? I have! I'm so glad that Rachel Anne was so generous to let us rake in the points by doing something so monotonous! Laundry is by far one of my least favorite things to do. All the sorting and different types of loads. There's lights and darks and whites and gentles and hots and colds and warm/colds and hand wash and hang dry and oh, the ironing! (Which is non-existent for me if I can help it!)

I have to laugh when I think about a story from when my first baby was born. Laundry was so easy before we had children. Maybe once a week I gathered it up and spent a few hours on it. Then I got pregnant after 4 years of trying, and we found out we were having a girl. Well, the church we were working for had been praying for us so faithfully that they just had to throw me a shower to celebrate. I have never seen so many women gathered at one baby shower! It was actually a little overwhelming, but I was blessed that so many wanted to celebrate with me.

As I opened one gift after another what I found inside was mostly pink, pink, and more pink! I was definitely not going to have any problems with people asking me if my baby was a boy or a girl! :) When we got it all home to sort through it, (luckily we lived on church campus back then) my husband joked about how now when we did laundry, it was going to be a load of lights, a load of darks, and a load of PINKS!

Since then, my laundry has become a lot more diverse in color because I have 2 girls and three wonderfully messy boys. My firstborn still wears pink, but it's LR, my other daughter (4) that loves it the most. She's sitting here next to me, in her warm fuzzy footy pj's, pink from head to toe! :)

Ahhhhh, laundry! It's a labor of love!

Hope you all had a great week. I can't wait to meet with some of you for coffee, but for now, I'm off to get my kiddos ready for school.

~Melissa

12 comments:

Reese said...

Pink footy pj's,I love them.
Come over to my house. The kids are playing in the backyard. I think we are having perfect weather today, snow last weekend, but today is wonderful.Tell the kids to bring their scooters.
Happy Friday!!

Anonymous said...

When my best friend had her baby girl, her husband asked, after about 4 months, if they made girls clothes in anything other than pink. I guess he was getting tired of it. What a sweet post of love for your children - and the myriad loads of laundry.

Mommahen said...

My husband says I sort too much. I have darks, jeans, lights, reds/pinks, whites, towels, khakis. But as I recall when we got married and I took over laundry duties his white socks were gray because he gathered ALL the clothes up and washed them together. And his dark pants always faded on his white socks.

He may complain now, but he's never again had a pair of gray socks! And you're right--laundry really is a labor of love!

Thanks for inviting us over. Have a blessed weekend.

secondofwett said...

Laundry....when my last child became a teen I decided that it would be am excellent life skill for them to learn...eldest children went off to college with absolutely no idea how to do laundry....so, now they each have their day and I just have mine and linens and towels! Works for me!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

I laughed through your entire post. Does anyonedo ironing???
We do a *pink* load too!
But we also do a *super-hero* load
. . . and a *all the stuff the dog's slept or pee'd on* load.
Laundry is one of those things that makes families unique. I wouldn't trade my love/hate relationship with my laundry room for anything!!
Isn't it sad that the soft fuzzy pick stuff loses its "fuzzy'ness" after so many loads?
:-)
Have a Wonderful Weekend!

P.S. My drawers/cupboards are covered with food splotches too.

Dani said...

Isn't crazy how much kids add to the laundry. My 1 year old adds more to the laundry load than anyone in the house :)

We have pink footies, too. My daughter is 8, and she loves her pair!

D said...

I must admit, even with the challenge from Rachel Anne, I am sadly behind on the laundry this week. I am making up for it today though...

Thanks so much for the coffee!
D

Anonymous said...

haha...that made me laugh. It's so true about how babies change the amount of laundry we have....even just one. They have so much clothes. We've been lucky to have tons of hand me downs too from our cousins (who are evidently shopaholics), but storing it all is a problem too. I'm weird, but laundry is one of my favorite things to do. Have a great weekend.

onemotherslove said...

Oh, I remember laundry day before kids... it was so quick... Now every day is laundry day!

onemotherslove said...

Oh, and we have a pink/orange/red load because most of our pinks are bright instead of pastel.

L2L said...

thanks for the down low on coffee, I finally got the courage to do a post for company girl. i am so with you on the laundry delima, I don't mind doing the laundry I just don't like to fold and put away, that's where we end up getting bottle necked. have a great week and I can't wait to see what Rachel Anne is cooking up for us this week!!!!

Stephanie said...

We have lots of pink here as we are all girls with the exception of my husband. :) And I am continually amazed at how much laundry we all produce here! :)