Today's Small Thing over at Home Sanctuary was to do a little work before a little play. The reason this caught me as something to blog about is because I seem to be lacking in the "fun" department lately. In fact, I feel like I'm running around in circles, hardly able to accomplish even the smallest of tasks. I realize that some of this is due to Winter Break being lengthened by the weather. There were moments through the holidays where I really just kicked back and had fun with friends and family. Like everyone else, I am catching up on taking down and boxing up Christmas decorations. There are a few extras on my to do list that didn't get done during vacation. I don't think that's what's bogging me down though.
I think Rachel Anne is right. There has to be a balance between work and play. When I spend my days only playing with kids or hanging out in blog land, the house starts to close in on me. When I work too much and don't take some down time for myself, I end up being grumpy mommy/wife. It seems everything I read, listen to on CD, or watch on tv lately has something to do with the topic of how women don't stop often enough to make time for themselves.
For example, it is 2:00pm and I haven't taken the 15 minutes or so that I need to shower! I hate to admit it, but that happens quite a bit. I always think to myself that I'm going to do it after I complete this task or that, but then I end up getting to the end of my day and I'm still in my sweats. I will say, however, that because of the small thing today, I finished up my morning routine and then took time to exercise on my Wii Fit. That's something I enjoy, but don't allow myself to do it until I have most of my housework done.
I'm rambling now. I guess my point is that when I don't take care of myself, (fun being included in the definition of taking care of one's self) I am far less motivated to take care of the ones I love. I am working on the balancing act. I probably will be working on it for many years to come. I am a nurturer. It is in me to take care of others before myself. But then I always reach a point where I am too thinly spread and the well has run dry.
Honestly, I think I will have to schedule fun and time into my day until it becomes natural to me, if it ever does. It's a good thing I'm married to a loving man that tells me to lighten up every once in a while! : ) I think tonight I'm going to give myself permission to have a little extra fun today and play some board games with my kiddos tonight after dinner. They've been playing with their dad every night this week but he's at Youth Group tonight so it's my turn to have a little family fun. I am, after all, trying to teach them the importance of working hard so that they can have fun playing.
What are your thoughts on the matter? I'd love to hear from you!
2 comments:
Hi Melissa! I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes it feels like all I do is work. I seldom get to have fun or play with the kids. January and February are the hardest and most depressing months of the year, but hang in there. You are doing great! You deserve some time for yourself. I still haven't taken my Christmas decorations down, but I might just do that tomorrow. I also know that when I don't take care of myself, I am not motivated to take care of anything else either. Finding the balancing act can be tricky. I've been trying to find the right balance for about three years now.
It's so true.....we are often the last on our own list for taking care of ourselves. Or treating ourselves to fun! I hope you enjoy the board games!
I got my Christmas stuff put away and it feels so clean!! Lovin it! But the laundry basket is still calling me....must do it before watching a movie or I will be guilty of "do as I say and not as I do...."
Post a Comment