Friday, January 2, 2009

Company and Company Girl Coffee

Welcome to Company Girl Coffee! Today I am in much need of a second cup of coffee...or three, or four! Stay for a bit, help yourself, and I'll explain. Once a year I temporarily lose my common sense and behave like I am 20 again. For six years now (I was in my twenties back then) we have been gathering with our friends to celebrate and bring in the New Year together. This year we had a total of 12 adults and 7 children New Year's Eve. We play games and talk as we catch up on each other's lives. It involves a lot of laughter, food, and staying up late. I look forward to it every year, but every year it gets a little harder for this thirty something year old to forfeit her sleep.

Last night I stayed up with the girls playing a silly game and having a ball. It's great to just let loose and laugh with them. The setback is, I'm feeling a little tired today. Staying up late 4 nights in a row is starting to take its toll on me. Go figure. It's the best though. I couldn't think of a more perfect way to start the New Year than to be surrounded by friends and family.

6 comments:

Mommahen said...

I agree completely. My kids start back to school on Monday and I am so sad. I have loved the late night movies and Wii games. I will miss those late nights with them. But I cherish my memories. I am glad you got to make some fun ones with your girls. Thanks for the coffee.

Andrea P. said...

I am beyond blessed to be considered one of the friends mentioned in your post. Thank you for opening up your home to all of us!! You are a wonderful and gracious hostess!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the coffee! I agree with you - it's harder and harder to stay up and still function the next day! Hubby and I went to a New Year's Eve Neil Diamond concert...and we were back home by about 11:00. I stayed up with the kids to watch the ball drop and was in bed by 12:05! Our kids are older, so we actually CAN sleep in the next day...but I remember how hard it was to catch up when they were little. Happy 2009!

Dani said...

I agree. It is getting much harder to stay up these days. I used to stay up late all the time when I was in college. We usually are heading for bed between 9 and 9:30 now!
Thanks for the coffee!

Rachel Anne said...

I hate to break this to you, but you'll have to start building up your sleep reserves for when your kids in in high school/college. We used to have kids at our house nearly every weekend, and often mid-week....and they don't mind staying up laaaaate!

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get myself very organized so that I can function with minimal effort for "Round 2" of babies and kids :)

It sounds like you had a wonderful time...well worth the sleep deprivation! How great to have good friends to bring in the New Year with!!

Anonymous said...

I used to work with the teens at church and have overnighters or we'd go on trips and they'd stay up late, but I can't do that anymore. After my daughter fell asleep for new years, I was out like a light. I did hear the fireworks, but then I fell back asleep. Glad you had a great time with family and friends!! Happy new year!