When better to get back on track Menu Planning than the first Monday of the year? Rachel Anne over at Home Sanctuary has some great advice on how to plan an entire month's worth or more of meals with some very easy, very practical steps.
I have been menu planning for a while now. We have a large family, and the last thing I need to worry about during the busiest time of my day (the evening) is that ever lingering question "what's for dinner?" So I sat down and broke out some files and some paper and began to gather some of our favorite meals. From there, I started to piece together a few weekly menus. I tried to do a month at a time, but I just couldn't commit to sticking to it. Something always came up or ingredients got used too soon. With just one week and a grocery list though, I can stick to a budget and for the most part, be faithful to make what is on the menu for each day.
When a menu is a success, I enter the recipes and the groceries needed into my computer. I then print off a master copy, put it in a protective sheet, and place it in a binder. That's how I am up to 8 weeks of working menus for my family. Now and then I try a new recipe, and I keep those in a separate protective sheet until I can work them into their own menu.
I try to keep my menus pretty simple. I use crock pot meals on nights when I know my husband will be home late. I will put at least two nights of chicken in so that I can cook the chicken for Thursday while making Tuesday's meal, or put beef together with beef. (You get the idea.) I schedule leftovers on a weekly basis. I will even confess that sometimes when I'm cooking something elaborate for my husband and myself, I feed the kids cereal. (They love it!)
Menu planning is all about what works for your family and your schedule. It doesn't have to be some complicated, perfect plan. I've tried several ways and this is what has worked best for me so far. If I could give any advice though, I would say definitely save your menus from weeks/months past. That way you can look back and see what worked and use it again. Take it from someone who's tried many ideas. It will save you time in the long run.
Well, I'm off to see what's for dinner this week and maybe even make a couple more new menus by gathering recipes from my stash. : )
Have a great week!
5 comments:
Congratulations, Melissa, for winning!! I think that makes the Spokane girls winners for the second month in a row. WOOOHOO! I am going to sit down later to menu plan. I have recipes in binders, too, of the favorites. I always let each of the kids choose one or two of their favorites when I was planning. Now, since we're pretty much empty nesters, I let hubbie choose every once in awhile. Good thing he likes what I like to eat! Meal planning pays off....I rarely go to the store if I have it all together! I'm headed outside to shovel the walks and then go to have a much needed massage!
Congratulations for winning that cute tote bag!
Congratulations on the tote bag! You rock. :)
Making the grocery list is a great idea....I used to have a master list per week, but it must have gotten lost somewhere along the way. I'm going to completely re-do my menu...I've been very haphazard the last year, (much easier when you are down to 3 people at home) but it's time to get it back together!!
Congrats on winning today Melissa! You deserve it. I also do not look forward to "What's for dinner?" But with a menu plan, it makes it easier when I know what I'm going to make for dinner. I love crockpot meals. I really don't have to cook, and the food tastes really yummy.
Melissa, if you wouldn't mind sharing your weeks of menus...I'd love to see them! I started working on my list and am trying to come up with some new ideas.
Thanks!
Cheryl
cheryl1964@comcast.net
Post a Comment