Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Garden of God's Word

I haven't really had a chance to sit down and write about it, but I've been processing Sunday's message from James 1:21-27 these past few days. I've heard sermons on the topic before. Be "doers" of the Word, and not merely hearers. It's certainly not a lesson you hear once, and then move on to the next thing.

This time the words of verse 21 echoed in my heart as I listened to the Pastor's message.

Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. (NASB, italics mine)

When I heard the word "implanted," I immediately thought of a garden. Not the kind of garden that you walk through in the Spring and it's in full bloom and picture perfect. No, I am talking about a garden that has just been planted. I found myself thinking back to the Fall when my mother and I planted daffodil bulbs in the front and back of my house. Together we watered the soil to loosen it. Then we dug deep down to make the perfect nesting spot for the bulbs to rest safely during the winter. Dig too deep, and the bulbs would not be able to make it to the surface in the Spring, but too shallow and they would freeze during the cold of winter and not grow at all. It would be months before I would see the results from that labor of love, but the preparation in advance would be worth the beautiful blooms that would come with the fresh, Spring, sunshine.

This is how I look at God's Word, implanted in me. God takes care to plant the seed of His Word in my heart. He takes care to prepare my heart to accept it, storing it for just the right time. He waters it and cultivates it in the garden of my heart. As I am reading it, I may not even be aware of the roots that are growing, deeper and deeper in my heart. It may be a season before I see any growth from it. Then, just when I need it, the warmth and grace of God's Son shines on me and there is the Word in all of its beauty.

The Message puts it this way: So throw all spoiled virtue and cancerous evil in the garbage. In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life.

God is the great "Landscaper" of our hearts. But we must read His Word. We must receive it in humility and allow it to saturate our hearts. Then, we will have the roots that allow us to be effectual doers of the Word also. And we will be blessed in what we do. (James 1:25)

Heavenly Father, give me the humility to receive your Word with joy and the wisdom to carry it out in love. In your Son's name, Amen


7 comments:

Beth Herring said...

I love this picture you painted here today Melissa. Great message - one that we can always use in our daily lives.

Love to you - Beth

Cheryl said...

I am always so blessed by your posts, Melissa! I've ignored blogging (and blog reading) too long and am trying to turn over a new leaf this month!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a touching post, a great message! Thanks! Blessings galore to you!

secondofwett said...

Thanks Mellisa- great post.

Steph said...

Lovely message!

One More Equals Four said...

Very good illustration, thanks! I love that passage of James.

I have been keeping up with the Beth Moore book. I have been trying to get the reading in while my oldest is at guitar lessons. I really have enjoyed the book and have learned a lot and been humbled a lot. I just finished Ch. 7 this week, and it is true, insecurity has made me do some really stupid things, but I really do think that just being aware of it has already begun helping me. What about you?

Cari Kaufman said...

This is a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing!