Thursday, March 18, 2010

Company Girl Coffee 3.19.10

Welcome to Company Girl Coffee!

For those of you who stopped by last week for coffee and have been praying with me, I want to say thank you, again, for your prayers. I found out late Friday that the diagnosis for my family member is Colon Cancer. I have been indirectly touched hundreds of times by cancer, but never so up close and personal. This past week I have been through a wide spectrum of emotions. I am still spinning with unanswered questions but God is good. The next step is a Cat Scan to see if the cancer has spread. That will be at 11:00am West Coast time today. (That is, Friday...I'm writing this Thursday night.)

At first when all of this started I felt guilty for not being there with my family. But then something deep inside of me told me that I needed to stay here. Not just physically, but REALLY here...all of me. I still have a husband and children to love on, laundry to do, meals to make. I just needed to realize that I am not letting my extended family down by continuing to take care of my loved ones here. I don't love my other family member any less if I stay put until I know more.

My husband has been very supportive since I found out, and one way or another, we will make plans for me to go out for surgery when the time comes. Until then, I am lifting my own prayers with yours to the One who hears our cries.

Psalm 28:6-7

Praise be to the LORD,
for he has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Still singing,
~Melissa~

10 comments:

Kim said...

Hi Melissa,
I hate, hate, hate the "c" word. My mom and my sister both died of the horrible disease. I am, however, strengthened in knowing what the Lord does through this horrible disease. My other sister and my niece both accepted Him after seeing my mom go through her cancer with grace and the love of Jesus.
God uses all things to work together for His purpose.... even the bad and ugly. I hope this is not a downer but just know that Jesus loves your relative more than you do. Have a blessed weekend and btw, that is my favorite song...."The Stand"!
Blessings

Rosie said...

Praying for you...that you'll be strong and know when you need to go be with your family member...

Anonymous said...

You are doing the right thing Melissa. Your children and husband need you, and you will be there when you're needed. May the Lord grant you strength. Praying for the doctors. Thanks for the birthday wishes...and yeah, we're not totally adjusted to DST...and I've been up trying to work on something for my sister's wedding.

Shawna Atteberry said...

You and your family will be in my prayers. I hope the CAT Scan shows it hasn't spread.

L Harris said...

Just wanted to stop by for a visit. So glad I did. Good work! Chin up!

Aiming4Simple said...

It is hard to not be in a position to help as directly as one would wish. But prayer is also such a mighty thing. My mother was surrounded by other believers who helped and encouraged her through her diagnosis and treatment; so I pray that those that God has placed near your loved one will be very supportive as well.

Obviously He is speaking to you and giving you peace; when the time is right for you to be there, God will guide and sustain you. We appreciate you sharing how God is working in your life in the midst of this uncertainty.

-Julia

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. As you might have read, my grandmother has cancer. I will lift up your family member when I pray for my Grannie!

Jen

Debbie T said...

Praying with you. It is so difficult, but you are crying out to the ONLY one who has good things in His hand...

bashtree said...

Thinking of you and praying for you, Melissa. You are right to want to remain present for your own family.

secondofwett said...

When my sister was diagnosed w/cancer 2 yrs ago, I was stunned by how it affected me.....when other people have been diagnosed, yes, you feel badly for them, but when it's someone very close...your mind just starts reeling....you are in my thoughts and prayers.