Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Siesta Scripture Memory 7.1.09


I can't believe we are half way through 2009! One of my big goals for the year has been to meditate on and memorize scripture more. For this reason, I joined the Siesta Scripture Memory Team at the LPM blog. The goal is to memorize two verses a month. That's 24 verses memorized by the end of 2009! I have been so excited about God's Word this year that I had to go out and get a special Scripture notebook that I could record verses in that speak to my heart. It has become my very own praying God's Word journal and I flip through it often when I am feeling discouraged, weary, or just need to be refreshed. I am really learning how much power there is in praying the scriptures!

2 Timothy 3:16-17 has been a familiar verse to me for many years. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

More recently, I was encouraged by Romans 15:4 "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."

Through the endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Hope is the word that I am focusing on for my 13th memory verse of the year. It is Psalm 147:10-11

"His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love."

The word "delights" in this verse translates "to be pleased with, be favorable to, accept favorably." God is delighted when we put our hope in His Word, and His unfailing love.

I pray you are encouraged by this promise today.
~Melissa



2 comments:

Rachel Anne said...

I love that last verse. There are so many times that I have to cling to hope in the Lord and not my own strength. Great job on the verses...you inspire me!!

ps I really enjoyed reading about your tally sheet! Made me smile, thinking about it being well-loved. That is so great.

Unknown said...

I just got finished checking out the LPM website! Awesome! I've had a desire for awhile to memorize more scripture, but always let the overwhelmed feeling get the best of me. I'm inspired and I'm jumping in! Keep up the great work!