Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Siesta Scripture Memory Verse 6.15.09

I'm half way there! This is memory verse 12. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then visit the LMP blog, or my first scripture post here.

Lately I have been dwelling on wisdom. It all started with a familiar verse that I've had memorized for a while. Psalm 90:12 says "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." That got me to thinking about the different ways that we can "gain a heart of wisdom."

  • The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Psalm 111:10
  • We gain wisdom from reading God's Word. Proverbs 1:2-7
  • We grow wise when we walk with the wise. Proverbs 13:20
  • The treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ. Col. 2:2-3
  • If we lack wisdom, we should ask God, who generously gives wisdom. James 1:5

1 Kings 3:5-14 reveals the origin of the depths of King Solomon's wisdom. The Lord came to the young king in a dream at Gibeon and told him to ask for whatever he wanted. Instead of asking for long life or wealth, Solomon asked for a "discerning heart." The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this, (verse 10) and promised to give him not only a wise and discerning heart, but also what he had not asked for. Riches and honor would belong to Solomon plus a long life if he obeyed God and followed His commands.

I pray for God to give me a wise and discerning heart! One that can build this home, love my husband, and nurture my children.

Proverbs 24:3-4 reflects the desire of my heart. That is why I have chosen these verses to memorize for the second half of June. I like the Amplified version the best.

"Through skillful and godly Wisdom is a house (a life, a home, a family) built, and by understanding it is established [on a sound and good foundation], And by knowledge shall its chambers [of every area] be filled with all precious and pleasant riches."

~Melissa


No comments: