Friday, February 22, 2008

Three Messages that Matter


My husband gave me these lovely roses for Valentine's day. Not only did they look beautiful, but the aroma that they gave off filled my entire kitchen! I love flowers. Especially ones that smell so beautiful. The trouble with flowers though, is that they don't last forever.

Today I was looking at them, wondering what I could do to make them last a little longer. So I sat down at my dining room table with the scissors, a new sized vase, some paper towels, and my trash can. As I slowly unwrapped the petals of the seemingly dead roses, they began to take on new life. I could also tell which ones were still getting water, and which ones were being choked out by the other flowers in the bouquet.

Sitting there, at my dining room table, God whispered to my heart. "Beauty runs deep. It's what's on the inside that really matters to me." Then another message. "Don't let busyness (the other flowers) keep you from reaching my living water." He didn't stop there. "Be filled with the aroma of Christ" was His third message to my heart. God is so good. He speaks to me in the most amazing ways. Not only was my heart cheered, but now I have a brand new bouquet of flowers to brighten up my kitchen for another week!

1 Peter 3:3-4 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."
John 7:38 "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."
2 Corinthians 2:14 "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."

No comments: