Thursday, February 28, 2008

Helping Others

This morning I dropped my two oldest off at school. There is still a lot of snow and ice covering the field that they have to cross to get to their classrooms. My oldest son, J, (kindergarten) was going across the field when he noticed a little girl struggling on the ice. He immediately changed directions, picked up his pace, and went out to meet her and help her get safely to the blacktop. Now that's chivalry! They held hands, helping each other balance until they made it to safe ground. As I was standing there watching this happen, the girl's mother said "isn't that cute?" I nodded in agreement as we discussed the danger of the field and how the school should do something about it. Deep down inside I have to say I was thinking "That's my boy."

I try to teach my kids how important it is to help others. Later today I will tell him how proud I am of him for stopping to help that little girl. It's good to see that principle at work in his life.

No comments: