Friday, November 5, 2010

Coffee, Pie, and other Things to Enjoy

Last night I made my first apple pie. I've had my eye on the recipe for a while now. It was simple, with minimal ingredients, and used a ready-made pie crust. The kids gave it two thumbs up! If I can follow the recipe, anyone can do it. I'd offer you a bite with your coffee, but it pretty much got devoured in one sitting after dinner last night.


You can find the recipe and try it for yourself at one of my favorite blogs: Eat at Home. She posts more than desserts. Every week she posts a menu, the recipes, and a grocery list to go with it! It's one of the most useful tools I have ever come across. If you menu plan, or want to start, I would recommend checking it out.

I'm sitting here watching my youngest son sword fight with his dad using spatulas from the kitchen. It sure is fun having one kid at home still. My husband would argue that he's going to be the most spoiled because he's the youngest. (Of course, that's coming from someone who's the oldest of 5 siblings!) I guess, in a way, he's right. No other kid gets to stay at home with mom alone for two whole years. Or gets to sword fight with dad on his day off. I'd say that the other kids get their share of 'spoiling' around here too though. There's plenty of love to go around. :)

This week I've been thinking a lot about the pace of life. I don't know about you, but it seems like for me, everything is moving too quickly. I zip around my house doing chores, sometimes forgetting to slow down and play with my son. I wait impatiently in the grocery line instead of stopping to say hello to the clerk, or the person behind me that's waiting as well. All for what? A few extra minutes of time in my day? No. Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day.

So this girl is going to slow down and enjoy the life that God has given me. Enjoy my husband, my children, and my friends. I'm going to take the time to make that phone-call (instead of an e-mail), and maybe even write a letter, put a stamp on it, and mail it. And yes, I'm going to take time to bake home-made apple pie.

Have a great weekend everyone!

~Melissa

Psalm 90:12 Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

9 comments:

secondofwett said...

Oh..it's been many years since I made a homebaked pie..but I'm going to check out that website...sometimes I think I've gotten kind of lazy and just buy a lot of ready made stuff...totally not healthy for you...I'm def going to check it out! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I have helped to make an apple pie but have never made one myself. I have some kind of fear about these things. I just baked cookies for the first time last year! I do bake other things like quick breads, but am scared to just go for it on new things. =p Thanks for sharing the link. I'll have to check that out. And I think esp around this time of year, it is good to slow down and remember what's important in our lives.

Katharine said...

The pie looks great! Happy Friday, I'm so glad I stopped by for a visit. It is the perfect time of the year to slow down and enjoy what we have been given!
Blessings!

Karen Whittal said...

You are so right, we even talk that way, we are quickly going to the shop, we are quickly going to do the washing, we are quickly going to do the dishes, we are quickly going to see a friend in hospital........ why do not do it slowly for a change..... I'm with you

Unknown said...

I'm so with you -- which is why I think God is slowly pruning things away from my life. So great to get a glance in at yours!

Unknown said...

you know, (yes, I'm back) I'd like to invite you to link up with me on Tuesdays -- it's a new meme that is about fellowship in this blog land. I'd love for you to check out the heart behind it and you can see what happened with it last week.

http://findingheaventoday.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-community.html

http://findingheaventoday.blogspot.com/2010/11/soli-deo-gloria-sisterhood.html

Jennibell said...

I think I'll go over and check out that website -- thank you! I *love* apple pie :) I've given up all bread and pasta for awhile but won't be able to resist my MIL's apple pie when she brings it at Thanksgiving!!
The older I get, the more I try to live in the moment. Please try it yourself. There is SO much to enjoy and I'm finding that time just moves too fast.
Happy Weekend!

Zoanna said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You and I have something in common: a "spoiled" last kid all by himself in home school.

I've been convicted lately of the amount of time I'm "here" but "not all here" for people, and the biggest culprit is the computer. I'm on a Facebook fast; the blogging is in a different category b/c I don't blog until I've thought if it's worthwhile. Make sense? Takes more thought; therefore more easily axed on the time mgmt cutting board.

Good to see others are joining the trend back to snail mail once in a while, too! Yay for stamps:)

Warren Baldwin said...

Linked here from Titus2InAction. Thanks for following our blog.

This is a good post. Those times at home with the kids are the most fun and memorable. I'm scanning some old pictures now of my kids that bring back such postive memories.

In addition to Titus2 I have a blog called Family Fountain I'd like to encourage you to visit.

wb