Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Reflections


This morning as I "reflected" on the words of Rachael Anne over at Home Sanctuary, I began to search the Bible for some verses to go a bit deeper. I discovered three verses that really got me to thinking.

1 Corinthians 3:12. "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror, then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

Romans 12:12 "Don't be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well pleasing, and perfect will of God"

The word "transformed" in the last two words is the greek word metamorphoumetha, translated changed, transformed, or transfigured. Every day we are being changed to be more like Christ. Just as we can't possibly know for sure know what we will look like in the mirror 10 years from now, we can't say what our walk with Christ will bring. However, I am reassured by these verses of several things.

1. I am fully known by the One who created me.
2. There is freedom in the Spirit.
3. I am being transformed into His likeness with ever increasing glory from the Lord.
4. I am transformed by the renewing of my mind.
5. As I am transformed, I will be able to discern the good, well pleasing, and perfect will of God.

All of these things depend on my growing knowledge of the Scriptures. I cannot be transformed and renewed if I do not read and meditate on His Word. My attitude and heart's cry is the same as Psalm 119:15-16. "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." Just as I wouldn't neglect to wash the face that I see in the mirror every day, I must cleanse my heart with the scriptures.

The next time you look in the mirror, remember that you are a reflection of God's glory and are being transformed into His likeness with each day. Rachel Anne put it so well when she said, "With each failure, with each victory, with each passing day, I'm not who I was."

And now, I'm off to clean my mirrors! :)

6 comments:

Rachel Anne said...

Melissa, as I look in the mirror and see more wrinkles and stuff I don't like on my physical self, I'm really reminded about the transforming that should be taking place on the INSIDE. Your scriptures are just what I needed to point me in the right direction. Thanks for taking the "reflection" a step further...I will be meditating on this today.

L Harris said...

I am learning that lesson too. I'm changing almost every day to be a better person.

One More Equals Four said...

What great encouragement today, thank you so much! It is such a blessing to know that we aren't who we are going to be..God is always working on us and someday, we will be in our glorified selves eternally...praise God, how I long for that day!

Thanks for your "comments" on the Home Sanctuary site...you are truly a blessing!

Unknown said...

You are so right! He absolutely is faithful to complete in us what He started. I love the verses you shared and I too will be mediting on them. I've had such a longing lately to be more in his word and it's been such a struggle at this season in my life. Posts like yours are such a blessing. Nice and meaty...something good to chew on! :) Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!
LydiaCate

CindyC said...

Melissa, thank you for sharing!

The Queen Mommy said...

Rachel's post really inspired me, too, and your verses just take it up a notch! It is SOOOO easy for us to get caught up in that outward appearance - and to be trapped in it - especially when we don't allow God's word to just soak into our lives and fill us up with HIS goodness.