The next day I could hear him shouting clear on the other side of the house "My tooth fell out!!!!" We immediately put the tooth in a baggy for safekeeping until that night. He wanted to keep it under his pillow but since the boys were "camping out" in their bedroom on the floor that night I told him that it would probably be safer on the book shelf next to him. He was very happy the next morning to find 4 shiny quarters in its place! :)
While BC was busy losing his first tooth, RL decided to come down with a stomach virus. She woke up sick Thursday morning and continued to throw up well into the afternoon. She seemed to be feeling better for a while, but that evening she started up again. Since she has a past history of getting dehydrated when sick, I decided to see how the night went, but call the doctor in the morning.
I woke up at 5:30am Friday to RL still sick. At 8:00am I called the Dr. and made the appointment. The soonest they could see her was 11:00am. It was not good news. The Dr. sent us to the ER with hopes that they could put her on an IV there and rehydrate her. After 4 tries to get an IV in (OUCH...my little girl was so brave) they took a "break" and brought in the best nurse they had to do the job. They finally got a drip going and we waited for the blood test results to come back.
More bad news settled in when the ER Dr. said that he didn't think that a few hours on an IV was going to do it. He wanted to admit her to the hospital over night. This would be my third stay with her in the hospital due to dehydration. I waited until we were settled in her room and called her dad to tell him the news.
I was impressed and rather relieved at how quickly the Children's Hospital Dr. came to see us in her room. After going over RL's history, she talked with me about a theory that hasn't come up in past visits. (Both of the other times were at a different hospital.) She said that since RL's blood sugar has been low with each incident that we should look into seeing an Endocrinologist. She even called the specialist for me and they agreed that RL needs to be seen.
I stayed the night with RL at the hospital and by morning she was rehydrated and eating again. Yesterday around 1:00pm we arrived home. Tired, but happy to be here. Tomorrow I will call and make an appointment with the specialist. I hope to find some answers as to why she gets dehydrated so quickly. For now though, I am just glad to see my baby girl smiling again.
Well, that's the news for now! I am taking a recovery day today. Recover our health, recover the house! That way I'll be ready to face the new week set before me. :)
6 comments:
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear your daughter was so sick. Praise God that He sent the right doctor who wants to get to the root of the problem. I will be thinking of y'all as you get to the specialist and get some answers.
I'm relieved you are home and someone is being your advocate for answers. There are so many mysteries with your kiddos, it's a true blessing that someone is finally willing to step up to the plate for you. Love you guys! Hope Rachel is still feeling better. Ty is excited for B.
Melissa, glad you're both back home! I'll be praying. LOVE your new blog look!!! Very sweet~
I hope RL is recovering! What an ordeal...but she sounds like a real trooper. When will you do some tests? It's funny no one has mentioned a connection to blood sugar before--I know nothing about that, but I am so happy that you had a Dr. who is looking into things further for you.
After all the birthdays, big Tooth Events and hospital stays, I'm sure you are ready for a "quiet" week :)
I'm glad that Rachel is feeling better. Keep us updated on the doctor visit. I will be praying!
Oh Melissa, what an ordeal! I'm so sorry your daughter has been so sick. That's hard on the momma for sure! I will be praying for you all as you see this specialist...Praying they can give you answers without too many invasive procedures!
You have a brave little girl! SO glad she's better!
Post a Comment