It was a couch night for me last night. No, I'm not talking about the type of couch night where you've had an argument with your spouse and end up sleeping on the couch. We've never actually done that before in our marriage. I call it a couch night, because one of my kiddos was up most of the night feeling sick. When that happens I usually just rest on the couch where I can hear them if they need me.Luckily, he doesn't have a fever or the flu bug. He was up feeling ill because of an issue we've dealt with since he was born. He just doesn't seem to digest his food very well. We've tried treatment with Miralax and other methods. We've made sure he has plenty of water and fiber. He's had procedures done to make sure that there's not a "break" in his intestines, and we've done tests to make sure it's not Celiac. No matter what we do, we don't seem to find an answer. He just gets backed up (for lack of a better explanation) every once in a while. I feel sorry for the little guy and I wish I could help him more.
What I can do, is stay close to him when he's up and try to make him feel as comfortable as possible. I can pray with him and reassure him of my presence and God's. When I was little and one of us girls was sick, my mom used to break out the sleeping back and camp out right next to us in the bathroom. It always made me feel better to know she was there. Now, we have a much smaller bathroom here so it's not possible for me to camp out by his side, but I want my kid to know that I'm there for him. So once I've prayed with him and gotten him anything he needs, I choose to camp out on the couch because it's within ear's shot.
He seems to be feeling better today but because he didn't get much sleep last night, I kept him home from school. He's sleeping peacefully now, and I hope to fit in a little nap later too. I don't mind feeling a little sleepy in exchange for knowing that he felt loved and cared for last night. Love makes sacrifices, and I know many of you sleep-deprived new mommies out there know what I'm talking about! (Along with all of you seasoned moms, too.)
"Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening]." -1 Corinthians 13:7 (Amplified)
Have a great weekend all!
~Melissa
6 comments:
Awww, hope he feels better soon. E is not feeling well either. I have no clue what it is or was, but she seems to be her goofy self today.
Aww...praying your little one feels better. My brother had digestive problems his whole life (malformed colon) and I know the toll it took on him, as well as my mother.
I thank God for loving mommies like you! What a precious post. I hope you'll be able to find out what the problem is, and successfully treat it.
Try to get some rest, and do stop by my blog when you get a moment!
Awww, sorry the little one is under the weather. Hope he feels better soon. I know that having mommy nearby is a blessing and comfort to him! Isn't that just how God is for us. He doesn't always take away our pain and discomfort...but He is right there with us through it all!
Hope you have a good weekend and get some much needed rest!
My son (16) was sick last night and he LOVED having his mom bring him a blanket, make chicken soup, etc. so I KNOW your son loves having you nearby. It's no fun dealing with something like that that keeps recurring....hard to be patient and loving at times...but I have a feeling you know how to make him feel loved in the middle of it.
Blessings, Rachel
My husband and I were just talking about this last night (at midnight) as we stood in the driveway hosing down the sheets from my 4 year old's bed.
We seem to have a stomach virus making the rounds in our family this week. We also have five little ones, like you, and you know that a virus can make for a long week!
We were talking about how parenthood has you doing activities you never even imagined, like standing in the driveway at midnight with a garden hose, and giving baths to little ones in the middle of the night.
I love knowing that we can stand by the sides of our little ones and help them through their tough times just by being there.
Thanks for this post!
Post a Comment