-Elisabeth Elliot, Discipline, the Glad Surrender
I have been thinking a lot about surrender lately. We sing about it when we worship Him. We talk about the surrender of our whole hearts unto Him. However, the Bible does not "directly" address the matter of what it means to surrender totally and completely to Christ. So what does it really mean to "surrender all?"
Mark 8:34-35 says this:
Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."
Jesus lists three conditions here for those who wish to come after Him:
1. Deny yourself.
2. Take up your cross.
3. Follow Him.
Total and complete surrender. I abandon my own will for Christ's. Not without sacrifice, but with much reward.
Jesus promises in Mark 10:29-30:
"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life."
Eternal life. That is the reward of total surrender.
This morning in church we sang the song "Worshiping You" by Deluge. The words are simple:
Take this offering that I bringhumbly I fall on my knees
to proclaim your everything.
My life's nothing without you
take my hand and lead me through
you are my sustaining love.
I live to worship you (2x)
CHORUS:
Here I am worshiping you, with all I am worshiping you.
Bowing down in spirit and truth with lifted hands worshiping you.
Why do we lift our hands to the Lord when we're worshiping Him? It's an attitude of surrender. For me, it means letting go of whatever He asks. I gladly surrender to Him my life, because my life is nothing without Him.
What does total surrender mean to you?
1 comment:
I love Elizabeth Elliott.
Surrender is not usually my favorite spiritual discipline.
It usually means a divorce from my pride. The pride that keeps me from halting mid-thought to be humble in the simplest things. The pride that convinces me that I should be and can be in control of my schedule, my destiny, my family, and my words.
There you go, cooperating with the Holy Spirit again.
Thanks, Melissa.
Post a Comment