Speaking of storms, I've had quite a few "mini" storms in my life this week. Let me back up and give a huge, warm, sunny HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my grandmother! She turns 96 today! I admire her so much. She's a strong, independent woman for 96! On Sunday though, she took a fall and fractured her hip. Gave us quite a scare. She has been in the hospital all week. They did a partial hip replacement on Tuesday and she seems to be recovering just fine. Like I said...strong woman! I love you Grandma!
The next storm the winds blew in was of personal nature. On Wednesday I sat down to help my 7 year old son with a school project. He was supposed to build a mobile. There were very few limitations. It had to be no bigger than 12 inches wide and 14 inches long. It needed to be need, balanced, and colorful. Other than that, sky's the limit! I should preface this story with a little info about myself. I am not what I would consider "creative" when it comes to things like this. Creative writing...could do it all day long. Creative projects? Not so much. So I gathered the materials we have around the house to make a base and had JS pick out some things from our craft corner that he liked and we set to work. Long story short, I called in my creative friend to help finish the job. I think we just needed some new perspective. JS wanted some big, colorful rectangles hanging from it, and I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how to fit them in. Thanks A, for helping to calm that storm! :)
Yesterday I took my oldest three to their school's book fair before school started. JS was the first one to find the book he wanted. RL didn't have much trouble either. BC, my 6yr old was very disappointed to find out that his first choice was sold out. He had his heart set on it. The tears began to well up in his eyes and I could see the storm was coming. Fortunately, so could the Librarian. She took our money and said that she'd see if she could order some more. In the mean time, she had him pick out his next favorite and set it aside, just in case. Thanks to our school Librarian, for showing love to my son!
About 2:15pm yesterday I got a call from the school nurse. JS had complained of a sore throat (which I already knew about) and had a fever of 102. (Which had developed since school started.) I got off the phone, woke up my youngest two from nap, and headed to the school. Since there was only a half hour left of school by the time I got there, I requested that my other two kids leave class early. I was greeted by three teary eyed children when I got there. One, because he had to wear a mask on his face and go home early, one because she was missing the last half hour of her movie, and one because he was missing music class. After a short conversation in the car about how sometimes parents have to make tough decisions, I promised the kids I would make it worth their while to come home early. We had movie night with popcorn and hot cocoa. Needless to say, I will be taking my son in today if he still has a fever and a sore throat. Strep is going around at his school right now and I don't want to take any chances.
So, I'm hoping that today the storms will stay outside, and it will be a pretty smooth sailing type of day. The thing is, I'm still here. I don't want you to get the wrong idea and think that I'm complaining. Things might have gotten a little rocky this week, but every storm eventually came to an end. There are storms in life, but all can be navigated safely if we look to the One who commands the seas.
Psalm 107:28-30
Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.
They were glad when it grew calm,
and he guided them to their desired haven.
Thank You, Lord, for the storms. I look to you when the winds rise and the waves seem to crash around me. For you are my desired haven. I praise you in the storms of life. You are my faithful navigator.
Amen!
15 comments:
Happy birthday to your grandmother - 96! I pray she continues to recover well from her hip surgery. Also praying everyone at your place is soon feeling better!
what a great way to smooth things out with the kids who felt they were missing out on various things :)
I hope your son is feeling better...a couple of my kids have been under the weather too....with all the H1N1 scare it does make you second guess yourself.
Thank you for offering such a compelling glimpse into your stormy week. We've had plenty of tumult recently as well, and it is heartening to learn how you dealt with yours.
Sorry to hear that things have been stormy. Hope your grandma and son will be okay. It's definitely hard when all of this happens at once.
I'm sure BC will enjoy his book once it arrives. I think the childcare center at our church will be having a book fair soon, but I'm sure we need anymore. hehe
I love that "safe harbor" psalm. You have not had any dull moments this week, have you? You've been calming your children's storms!
Popcorn and milkshakes have been our family favorite comfort food/entertainment/fun thing for a long time. Somehow the promise of something fun does help. But wearing a mask does not sound like fun, no matter what.
Glad your grandma is recovering! She sounds like quite a lady!
Happy Birthday to your grandma--that is amazing and I hope she continues to do well in her recovery!
Sounds like you have had a hectic week! You DEFNITELY need to read your new book. I got the book as soon as it came out and it really is packed with a lot of great suggestions!
Take care of yourself this weekend and I hope your son feels better soon!
I was fortunate to talk to my sweet Grandma today! I love to hear her voice. Happy Birthday to your Grandma and I hope her recovery goes well!
I was so blessed by your post and encouraged to keep on moving through it all:) Thanks for sharing the Psalm you did!
I pray your weekend sees the calm after the storm.
Thanks for being real about the ups and downs of moterhing and navigating this life.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my post about the fragrance of Christ. i teach every week at my church and we have aboue 250 moms attend. So fun. We are offering it online for the first time if you are interested in checking it out. You can watch the 45 min. videos, download study notes and/or podcast, and interact with other moms. Click here
http://highsteppinginheavenlyplaces.wordpress.com/ and check it out. We would love to have you! Jump right in. In January we will be offering a study on 2 Timothy written just for MOMS.
Blessings.
Great, deep post. It is good to know that there is a rainbow at the end of the storms in our lives.
thanks for the glimpse into your storms this week. It sounds like you handled each one with grace--calling in the reserves and the comfort food as necessary!
I hope your grandma (who I guess is my birthday buddy!) continues to recover well, and that your son is better soon!
Thanks for the birthday wishes on my blog!
Sorry about all the storms this week. Sometimes it seems like everything hits at once. But it is so awesome to know He is always with us, navigating us through it all. Praise God!
Happy Birthday to your Grandmother! I bet she is a wonderful lady!
Thanks for the coffee!
Dawn
ps - what kind of error were you getting on the MuMo blog? I am checking to see if it is an issue on our end - maybe it's something we can fix. Feel free to send me an email if you can, dawn(at)musingmommies(dot)com
Thanks!
Wow! What a beautiful blog! I LOVE the music!
Thanks for your words of welcome. I hope that your son is feeling better! I look forward to chatting with you more in days to come!
Happy Birthday to your grandma. What a blessing you still have her with you!
Love your post. I really needed those words at this moment. Thank you for reminding me of that Psalm.
Have a great week!
LydiaCate
Thank you for this post. Such a needed reminder that, in the midst of the storms, we have a faithful Savior!
Post a Comment