Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Conversation with a Teller

I had an interesting conversation with a teller this morning that I don't believe was by chance. Especially after my post on hope last week. I was in the bank to cash some checks because we are saving up for some beef and trying to keep the money separate. Somewhere in the conversation I happened to mention that my husband is a Worship Pastor. That opened up the floodgates.

She told me about her childhood church and how when her mom re-married they got converted to Mormon. We talked about her grown daughter's church and what she didn't like about it. She asked questions about my church and I gladly answered her them. When I told her we used to work at the church down the street she wanted to know what denomination it was and what they believed. At one point she mentioned that before she moved here she did the study "Purpose Driven Life" with a friend, that lead to her eventual baptism and attendance at their church. She expressed her sadness when she moved from there and told me that she hasn't found a home church here that compares.

Normally, I would invite this woman to my church. But under the circumstances, I felt compelled to invite her to my old church instead. She lives not a mile away from it and I think she would feel welcome there. I told her the name of the Pastor and the service times. If I go back to the bank in the near future, I might even take her a connect card from LCN to further encourage her to visit there.

I walked away wishing that I could have done more. I prayed all the way home that in some way, God used me to touch this woman's life. Even though I didn't "present the gospel" to her, I saw it as an opportunity to encourage her in her existing faith. It was a brief encounter, but a meaningful one. I encouraged her in the best way I know how: by sharing my own experience with her and letting her know that there are good churches out there.

No, this meeting was not by chance. I don't often go in to the bank. I prefer the drive-through because I usually have a car load of kids. But this morning, I was kid-free, and something in my spirit told me to park, and go inside for a change. I'm glad I did.

Hebrews 3:13 "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."

1 comment:

Jill said...

Way to go! Sometimes giving someone a word of encouragement is all we are supposed to do. Let the Spirit work and do the rest, be open for future opportunities. I will pray for her today also.