Friday, October 9, 2009

Company Girl Coffee 10.9.09

Good morning! Coffee's on, or if you would like, I also keep a variety of hot teas around this time of year. Our weather turned VERY cold overnight here! I should be used to it by now. We pretty much have Indian Summers and early Winters.

We've had quite a week here emotionally. It started off normal with a pretty boring Monday, but then things picked up on Tuesday. I finally took my daughter to be tested for Growth Hormone Deficiency. It's one of many tests that she's been going through to test for Hypoglycemia. It all started back in July. You can read that story here.

The test was only supposed to take 4 hours. We went to check in and that was the first delay. The check in was all the way across the hospital from the fusion center. Then, the pharmacy had a problem sending up her meds for the procedure. I am still not sure what the mix up was there. So a test that was supposed to start at 9:30am was now starting at 11:30am. Of course, there was a problem putting the IV in. I have yet to see anyone get an IV in my daughter on the first try.

For the next three hours, they drew blood every 15 minutes while I read to my daughter, and waited. I watched her go from perfectly healthy, to pale, tired, and very upset. I know all the signs. At one point in the test they almost had to stop because her blood sugar dropped below the designated "stop test" level. A second test showed it was still ok. My daughter was anything but ok. Don't get me wrong. We were at a children's hospital, so she was being cared for well. But I knew that when the test was done, we were going to be there for at least the afternoon, possibly admitted overnight.

My concerns were confirmed when the test was finished and she was given a cracker and some Gatorade. She began to throw up and the attending nurse called her doctor. He told her to change her IV to a sugar water solution to bring her blood sugar levels back up and he'd be in to see her at 4:15pm. Eventually, I got her to keep some ice chips down. By the time the doctor stopped in she was looking a little better, but still didn't want to try food. He said that if she wouldn't eat and drink on her own by 8:00pm, they would have to admit her. Thankfully, I finally got her to eat some of the mashed potatoes that were with my dinner and then she had a dinner plate of her own around 7:00pm.

We made it home by 8:30pm with instructions to feed her a snack before bed and wake her up for another snack at 1:00am. I kept her home on Wednesday just to restore her energy level before sending her back to school. We should have our test results back at the beginning of next week. Hopefully we'll know once and for all what the problem is and what we can do to help her.

Over all, I am a very lucky mom. I have five pretty healthy kids. We have our little problems here and there but nothing serious. I am thankful for that. I am also aware that there are parents and children out there that are not as fortunate as we are. So my friends, if you are one of those parents, or if you know someone close to you that is experiencing some tough times with a child of their own, please share with me. I will add them to my prayers. I am not one of those people that says "I'll be praying for you" and then forgets. I consider it a privilege to pray to our awesome Lord on your behalf.

Thanks for sharing coffee with me today....and for sharing your lives with me.

From my heart to yours,
~Melissa~

6 comments:

One More Equals Four said...

Wow, what a week! I cannot even imagine how hard it is to watch your child have to go through that. Prayiing your weekend is better and you get some answers next week!

Anonymous said...

Sounded like that was a tough day. I can't even imagine having to go through that, but I'm sure there are some parents who go through a lot more, and earlier on in life of their little ones. Even when Melody gets a bump or scrape, it hurts me. I'm glad she got through it, and hope you'll find out what to do next. Take care.

Tracy DeLuca said...

It's so tough to watch your children suffer. Even when you know there is a good reason for it! And I know what you mean about others having things harder. Whenever I start feeling down about the issues my son has I remind myself that they could be so much worse!

The Queen Mommy said...

Oh how tough to watch your own child go through that. Thankfully God gave your daughter a good advocate and I'm glad she recovered and ate!!! Praying for your test results - hope to hear you find some answers!

The First Lady said...

Hi Melissa,

Thank God you made it through such a difficult week. I'm glad that your daughter is feeling better.

I'll be praying that you'll get the answers that you need.

My heart goes out to you and the family.

(Hugs)

First Lady

No Longer 25 said...

What a week you've had. It's great that you are grateful for what you have but it must have been a pretty tough day - I hope everything gets sorted out now that your daughter has had all those tests. I hope you have an easier more relaxed week this week.
Jade