Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Sights and Smells of Fall

This morning it is cold outside. I woke up to our first official "frost." There is was, blanketing the lawn, toys, and windshields of our vehicles sending a signal that winter is just around the corner. We usually get our first snow on or shortly after Halloween here. So before winter settles in, I thought I would share a few of the sights and smells of Fall around our house.

Leaves...piles and piles of them! My daughter was disappointed because they finally started to build up in the yard, and then the rain hit! We never had a chance to rake them and jump in them. Yesterday the weather cleared and she went outside and started to rake. There are still plenty of leaves yet to fall, so hopefully the weather will stay clear this week.Toothless grins! LR, who turns five in 17 days, just lost her first tooth yesterday! It's been wiggly for a while now. She was so excited. My baby girl is growing up.Cookies! Friday my DH got into baking mode and whipped up a batch of sugar cookies to cut, bake, and decorate with our kids. They turned out great! The close up picture turned out blurry, but my MIL called it the "Easter basket" cookie. There are sprinkles of every kind piled high. It was decorated by a very eager 6 year old. :)Cinnamon rolls anyone? This morning I got motivated and the smell of cinnamon filled the house as I baked up a nice surprise for my children. (No, sorry, they are not homemade!)This week we will have some pumpkin fun. I'm looking forward to letting my kids show their creative side painting pumpkins. Last year I had my own fun and after Halloween I made the pumpkins into pie! Pumpkin pie is another sight, and smell that I love, love, love, this time of year. I keep a bunch of pumpkin spice candles on hand to fill my home with that fresh baked aroma. :)

While we are on the topic of aroma, a passage of Scripture came to mind this morning when I was baking cinnamon rolls.

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?" -2Corinthians 2:14-16

The "fragrance of life." Now that's a fragrance worth wearing. In any season. How will you spread the aroma of Christ today?

~Melissa~

2 comments:

Nieman Family said...

WHere has time gone. I still follow...I haven't forgot you. Your lil one is cute with the missing tooth. Life for me has been a whirl wind. I'm ready for it to Sloow down...

Rachel Anne said...

Missing tooth before turning 5? She is ahead of her time. :)

The goodies look delish...I can almost smell the aroma through the computer.