Monday, April 13, 2009

Esther Study

I've really been enjoying the Beth Moore study "Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman." I need to dig in and get my homework done for this week but before I do, there's a part of last week's study that's been on my mind all week. I wanted to write out some of my thoughts as I try to get a grasp on what Beth was trying to say. Here's the portion of the study I'm talking about.

"Most critical to today's lesson, Esther had also detached from the common man's need. We tend to detach from sights and situations that make us feel badly about ourselves-especially when we feel powerless. If we think we can't do anything about a bad situation, we'd just as soon not have to see it.

Here's the trap, however: If we distance ourselves long enough from real needs, we replace them with those that aren't. Pretense becomes the new real and suddenly a delay in the delivery of our new couch becomes a terrible upset. We are wise to force ourselves to keep differentiating between simple inconveniences and authentic tribulations. The more detached and self-absorbed we become, the more we mistake annoyances for agonies."

This portion of the study has really made me stop and think every time I get upset about something. Whenever I start to feel out of control, I ask myself "What is this about? Is it worth getting all worked up? Is there a greater underlying issue here that I have been ignoring?" Life is full of inconveniences. The trick is not to let them get to you.

A while back I had a talk with a friend of mine about trials and tribulations and what the difference was between the two. Her definitions were very helpful for me. She also included her own definition of tests from the Lord...

Trials are things that come our way that we did NOT cause. God uses trials in our lives to build character.

Tests come from the Lord and are usually for a specific purpose. Such as when you learn something good from a sermon or God's Word and then you are tested on it in your life. Testing is for the purpose of growth and maturity.

Tribulations come from the enemy and they are for...well, it's just what the enemy does! God allows tribulations in our lives for the purpose of building faith and trust in Him.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all of this. I don't want to be someone who always "makes a mountain out of a molehill," to use a popular quote.

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you. :)

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Melissa, that was thought-provoking. It was interesting to think about over the years at the tests, trials, and tribulations that have been in my life. Sometimes when you are in the midst of one, it is hard to categorize it, but when you come out on the other side, shining with a newfound faith, they make more sense.

It is easy to let the day to day inconveniences fall into one of those categories, but lately I have been striving to not allow them to take any more effort than necessary. I guess it is a matter of simplifying things.