Saturday, December 6, 2008

Our Fabulous Five

It's Saturday! Saturdays around here mean lazy mornings and special breakfast. : ) The kids are playing and I'm still in my pajamas. It's great!

While I have the time I thought I would just take a few minutes to talk about my kiddos.

CD just turned two. Believe me when I say this with love...he is my most mischievous two year old yet! He has really entered that stage where he wants to do everything on his own. Even things he's not supposed to be doing at all! He is learning boundaries though, which is good. Yesterday his brother BC was playing with the Christmas stockings and CD kept pointing and saying over and over "Bay, No!" (Bay is what he calls his brother right now.) This was his way of telling BC that he was breaking the rule. It was hard not to laugh while pointing that out to BC, who should have known better. There's another cute thing he does that we didn't teach him, but it works. When he wants our attention, he knocks on us. Yes, I said knock. He balls up his little fist and gently knocks until we acknowledge him. I've never seen anything like it before! It makes me smile every time.

LR is four now. When she turned four she got to move up to "Big Kid" church. She gets to worship with her brothers and sister and then go to her own "classroom." She's very proud of this and we started to see some changes at home as a result. "I'm a big girl now, so I don't need my banana cut" is just one example. When her older siblings are at the table working on their homework, she sits right there with them, tracing letters or working on a project. She loves "homework," and I encourage that!

BC is my buddy at home. On the weekdays after I pick him up from kindergarten, we "download" and then have some lunch. Once I get lunch cleaned up and put the younger two down for naps, we hang out. Sometimes he just plays by my side while I work. Other days, I get down on the floor and play with him. He keeps me company and we spend quality time together until it's time to go get his brother and sister at the bus stop. It's becoming my favorite time of day.

JS is quite the character! He's quick witted like his dad. Get this...he got his first phone call from a girl yesterday! Ever since he memorized his phone number, he's been giving it out to all of his class mates. He's just itching to have "friends" over. Making friends has never been a problem for him. There's a third grader that sits on the bus with him that he invited over this weekend. We'll see if he calls. He seems like a pretty nice kid. I'm not ready to let JS hang out at other kids' houses yet, but they are welcome to come here.

RL is at the head of her class. The only trouble is, she is so shy that she won't speak up in class! Her teacher jokes about getting her a microphone so that everyone can hear her when she does chime in. : ) I don't know what the problem is at school, she is plenty loud around here! She's also very helpful around the house. She's contributing more and more, even without being asked to do so. I love that. It sets a great example for her siblings.


That's the crew! Today we are going to finish up some decorating and pretty much just hang out together. This week we put up the tree but need to put on the finishing touches. Most people are crazy busy around this time of year, but I am the exact opposite. There's nothing more I'd rather be doing than spending time at home with the fam.

1 comment:

samantha said...

Hi Melissa! We are pretty lazy around our home on sundays, and I make my kids special breakfast on sundays. It is great to be lazy and just hang out with the husband and kids.
My daughter, who will be two in January, can't really do much on her own yet, but she really knows her bounderies. She just started sitting with the rest of us at the table during meals.
It is really cute that CD was getting onto BC when he was doing something he shouldn't have been. It is really cute that he calls BC Bay.
My son has been asking me what our phone number was, because he wants to give it out to all his friends at school. Like JS, my son has never had any problems making friends.
I used to be head of my class at school, and I used to be really shy at school. Sometimes I would ask the teacher something, and she didn't hear me so she asked me what I said, and I would get shy, and just say I forgot.
I love the picture of the kids by the Christmas tree.