
Coffee's on late this week...yesterday I skipped the coffee and headed straight for the tea and throat lozenges. I seem to have caught a bit of a cold. I'm feeling a little better this morning though, so come on in! At least I'm not contagious over the internet!
Christmas is getting closer, and today is the day that my husband and I grab a sitter and go shopping together. Yesterday I was taking a look at what we have in our budget to buy gifts for our 5 children. I have to be honest, it's not much. I think every parent wants their kids to have a special Christmas, but this year I've really been questioning what that means. Does it mean stockings full of surprises and lots of presents under the tree? I don't think so. Sure it's a joy to see the delight in their little faces as they unwrap their gifts, but that's not really what matters. What really matters is being together as a family.
A long time ago in Bethlehem Mary and Joseph started their family together. Times were hard for them too. There was a Census taking place at the time and they had to travel many miles with a very pregnant Mary. When they arrived at their destination there was no room in the inn, so they had to stay in the stable. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born. But wait...there is good news!
"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.'"
-Luke 2:8-12 (Bold emphasis mine)
Did you catch that? Good News! Great Joy! That's what this mother of five chooses to focus on this Christmas. No matter how hard times get, there's always good news. He is Christ, the Lord!
7 comments:
I haven't started my shopping yet, but it's going to be pretty simple this year. My kids are older so their "toys" are fewer. This will be my week to get it done. I am anxious to get some presents under the tree! I'm finishing up decorating (finally). I'm at the point where I don't care to see any more garland or fight with any more lights. Time to quit!!
Thanks for the coffee and i hope you have a great time shopping!!
GREAT Perspective!
Now that I'm at your blog, I think I own you an e-mail. :-O
You asked over a week ago about homeschooling. RIGHT?
OH! It's been a busy time.
I'll go back and read that e-mail and answer you before the weekend's up. K?
One advantage for us as homeshcoolers (and they are only 4 and 5) is that neither have been terribly exposed to the commercialism of Christmas (Yet!) This makes the small things easy. All our decorations are decades old and they think they are spectacular!
Christmas becomes what our childhood memories make it.
Make your children's BEAUTIFUL and MEANINGFUL. Money means nothing!
God Bless!
~esthermay @The Heart of a Pastor's Wife
We too have scaled back on our gifts. I have a friend who only gets her kids three Santa gifts. She tells them that is all Baby Jesus got and it was HIS birthday. I love that idea so much. We will finish up our list NEXT weekend. Wish us luck! Hope you feel better soon.
Great reminder, thank you.
Hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the coffee visit
We've pared back on gifts this year, too, not necessarily because of finances, but just because we didn't want to get caught up in presents.
More important than gifts, we spent all weekend with one son and his family celebrating the things that made their Christmas preparation special - lots of practice for a ballet recital and a worship service that involved the entire family.
We will see a lot more family over the next 3 weeks - and we cherish each and every minute.
Thank you for the reminder!
Good for you! Times are hard, but we can still be thankful and enjoy the season. I am also focusing on Jesus and teaching my son about the real meaning of Christmas. My husband and I only got our two kids three presents each.
That's a wonderful post!
What a charming family you have - love all those little faces!
Post a Comment