Thursday, August 15, 2013

Siesta Scripture Memory Team Verse 16!


"But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever."
-Psalm 52:8 (NIV)


When I read this verse, I just knew I had to memorize it.  First of all, I love that it is written in the first person.  I am like an olive tree flourishing...I trust in God's unfailing love. 

I also love that word flourishing.  Doesn't it just drip off your mouth like a waterfall? The Hebrew word from Strong's Concordance for flourishing is raanan. (Pronounced rah-an-awn) It translates: luxuriant, fresh. 

I didn't know much about olive trees before I read this verse so I decided to look them up and learn something.

Did you know that olive trees are evergreen? They will live and produce fruit in spite of circumstances - hot, cold, wet, dry, rocky or sandy soil.  In the same way, as Christians we must learn to "flourish," no matter what our circumstances.  How is this possible?  The answer is in the second half of the verse.  Trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever.  When the sun is shining and when the rain is pouring down.  When you are walking through a dry season and when your cup seems to overflow.  

You get the point.  God's unfailing love is the one constant in every season of our lives.  I am reminded of a song by Jesus Culture called "Your Love Never Fails."

Nothing can separate
Even if I ran away
Your love never fails

I know I still make mistakes
But You have new mercies for me everyday
Your love never fails

Chorus:
You stay the same through the ages
Your love never changes
There may be pain in the night but joy comes in the morning

And when the oceans rage
I don't have to be afraid
Because I know that You love me
Your love never fails

Verse 2:
The wind is strong and the water's deep
But I'm not alone here in these open seas
Cause Your love never fails

The chasm is far too wide
I never thought I'd reach the other side
But Your love never fails


I'm so glad that His love never fails.  Thanks for stopping by, and may you flourish in His love today and always.
-Melissa 

1 comment:

Katharine said...

This is a beautiful song! Thanks so much for posting, I'm going to look it up...they are words I needed! Blessings!