It's been a while since I could get to the computer to post, but I figure if I'm going to take a few minutes to write about something, it will be how memorizing scripture has made such an impact on my life. I've stretched myself a little this year and tried to memorize more than one verse at a time. Siesta Scripture Memory Team with Beth Moore has helped a lot both because there is accountability to get my memorization done in a specific period of time, (the first and 15th of the month is when we pick our verses) and because Beth Moore often shares tips about memorization technique and the story behind why she chose a particular verse. If I haven't had anything jump out at me in my reading then I sometimes just memorize her verse right along with her. It's inspiring to know that there are so many women out there memorizing scripture and if I get discouraged, I come back to the SSMT post and scroll through some of the verses that everyone else has posted that they are memorizing.
This month I focused in on a psalm that stood out to me while I was walking through Priscilla Shirer's new Bible Study "Gideon, Your Weakness. God's STRENGTH." I have some AMAZING thoughts that I would love to share from this study, but for now I will stick to my memory verses. The verse that was in the margin was Psalm 103:2, but when I picked up my Bible to read it, I knew that I just had to memorize verses 1-5. I'll break it down the way that I memorized them. In the first two weeks of July I memorized Psalm 103:1-2:
"Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget none of His benefits;
The first time I read this I thought "What? How could I forget the many blessings and benefits of knowing the Lord?" But it happens. It is easy forget that the Lord is constantly on our side and looking out for our greater good. Romans 8:3 says "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." So why would we forget the amazing things He's done? Pride. Priscilla calls it "spiritual amnesia." Just like the nation of Israel wandering in the desert, we have to be reminded of the One who rescued us.
For the second half of the month I have been memorizing Psalm 103:3-5. Lets take a look at the benefits the psalmist is talking about. I've broken them down for the sake of memorization into two parts. First, God takes away the bad. Then, He replaces the bad with the good. I focused on three key words to memorize the next three lines (ps. 103:3-4a). God pardons, heals, and redeems:
"Who pardons all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit,
The next words I focused in on were crowns, satisfies, and renewed. (ps. 103:4b-5)
"Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your years with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle."
So that's my thinking process. I wake up almost every morning declaring "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget NONE of His benefits!" That's the impact that memorizing scripture has had on my life. It's the perfect way to start my day...remembering all that He has done for me.
Thanks for stopping by,
Melissa
No comments:
Post a Comment