Seasons. We all know that there are four of them, right? Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. They mark the coming and going of certain types of weather, scenery changes, and temperature ups and downs. Most of us here in the U.S. follow what's known as "Daylight Savings Time" and set our clocks to "Spring forward," or "Fall back," accordingly. But that's not what this post is going to be about. No, lately my mind has pondered the coming and going of different seasons of life, and how quickly they can change.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 says "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." (ESV) I have started a new Bible Study this Summer by Priscilla Shirer called "Gideon, Your weakness. God's STRENGTH." One of the questions she asked in the first week of the study was "What realm of life do you think God wants you concentrating on while doing this study?"
Part of being a mom is having the capability to transition from one season of parenting to the next. When my children were ages 5, 4, 3 ,2 and newborn, life brought completely different challenges than my current season, where they are ages 11, 10, 10 (no, that's not a typo, I have two 10yr olds for another 13 days), 8 and 6. I think back at the many stages of motherhood and I am completely aware (now) of God's presence through each one. He knows where we have been, what season we are currently experiencing, and yes; He knows what the future will hold as well.
I love what Rachel Anne had to say about seasons in her post on Friday:
When things change, we feel the earth move beneath our feet and
become afraid that we'll never find a firm footing again. That's just
where I am today.
But....I know this and I cling to it: God is faithful.
He keeps us in his loving care and sets our feet on solid ground. We will find our firm footing if we trust Him.
Psalm 40:2 ...He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
I am also in a season of uncertainty. While my younger children are still in their grade school years, my older two are in Middle School. Sure I wish I could keep them young forever, but that's not possible. As I watch them grow I have to be prepared for change...and I'll be the first to admit, I don't like change much! What I have to remember though, is that each season is preparing me for the next. Things can't remain the same forever or I get comfortable. Complacent even. I start to rely on my own strength instead of God's. I think to myself "yep, I've got this parenting thing down."
So as much as uncharted territory scares me a bit, I move forward keeping in mind that God is with me every step of the way. And I, like many mothers who have gone before me, will cling to the one thing in my life that will never change: His faithfulness.
"For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations." -Psalm 100:5
2 comments:
Great post! It can be so hard as mom's to loosen the apron strings as our children get older...and sometimes we loosen the strings a bit to much. It can be hard to know how to handle this growing up thing. Just keep trusting in God and keep them grounded in the Word and they will do just fine. And...so will you!! Enjoy every stage! I loved the teen years!! I know, crazy right? It's so awesome to see your child begin to become the young man or woman God created them to be right before your eyes!
Blessings,
Gay
Yes, it does feel like once you get a handle on things, they change things up on us! :p I'm sad they won't be little forever, but looking forward to moving toward being friends with my kiddos. :)
Post a Comment