Friday, April 20, 2012

April Flowers

FFA Wa-High Greenhouse
Last week I went on a field trip with my 1st grade daughter and we walked though this greenhouse.  The minute I stepped in, the sights and smells brought me clear back to my childhood.  When I was a kid, my parents owned a hardware store.  In the Spring, I would always go on trips with my mom to go pick up flats of flowers from very large greenhouses to sell at our store.  We even had a little greenhouse of our own in front of our store for the plants that needed the extra warmth.  I have such wonderful memories of going with my mom on those trips, and then helping her water the flowers when they needed it.  It makes me smile to think about it, and share it here.

Today's Small Thing  over at Home Sanctuary is to celebrate your history by finding an object in (or around) your home that brings a sweet memory to mind. 

The above picture is what came to mind when Rachel Anne talked about sweet memories.  It's been 25 years since we closed the doors to our store, but the memories will remain in my heart forever.  Now I have children of my own, and I love to take them with me to our Dollar Plus store.  They help out in any way they can and we are making memories of our own.  I hope that one day, they will look back and smile on these days with fond memories of us building something together.

Why not join us for Company Girl coffee today and share some sweet memories of your own? 
Blessings,
~Melissa

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Lovely memory!! My parents owned a restaurant and we had great memories hanging out there and seeing the behind-the-scenes of what went on there.

Have a great weekend, Melissa.

secondofwett said...

Sounds like a wonderful memory..it's always amazing to me how our child hood smells trigger some very vivid memories...like the smell of a new doll, or new pencils, or new shoes. The most simple things bring the best memories.

Rachel Anne said...

Love this memory...and it's even better because you get to pass it on to your kids. They will always remember getting to help in your store...the sights and smells will be things they will cherish.

Catalina said...

What a wonderful memory! I love Rachel's prompts, don't you? And I am sure you are right. Your kids are going to have fond memories of growing up and working at your store, much like you have of working at your parent's store.

I also love the smell and look of greenhouses, however, I do not have a green thumb at all. I was so thankful last year when we moved into our new place that the lady we purchased from said that all she did for the gorgeous flower beds around the house was "wait for it to rain. And if it doesn't, then use a hose every so often." That is MY kind of gardening! :)