Friday, February 10, 2012

Valley Fog

This morning as I was driving the kids to school, I couldn't help but think "Is this heavy fog ever going to lift?"  And then I remembered that I live in a valley.  Allow me to go Wikipedia Weather girl on you for a moment.  Valley fog is the result of a temperature inversion caused by heavier cold air settling into a valley, with warmer air passing over the mountains above.  With calm conditions, (no wind, like now) it can last for days. And it has.  We have been in fog all week.  First, it was freezing fog, and now, thankfully the temperature has risen a bit, but it's very low visibility.

Sometimes my walk with God bears a striking resemblance to the current weather.  There are days, or even weeks, when I feel like I'm stuck in a valley fog.  I have limited visibility, but I have to trust that God, like my headlights, will shine enough into the darkness to show me the correct path.  This is where it is ever so important that I am in His Word on a regular basis.  As Psalm 119:105 says "Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path."

Just like the weather, our current circumstances can change quickly and unexpectedly.  A valley fog can roll in out of nowhere, but that doesn't mean that we have to stop moving forward.  God is right there with us lighting our path, helping us navigate our way through the fog. 

So the next time you find yourself in a valley with the fog rolling in, don't forget to turn on your headlights!  In other words, crack open your Bible and let His light shine the way.

Blessings,
Melissa

4 comments:

Kathleen T. Jaeger said...

Your description of the fog makes the saying, "I'm in a fog." Have all new meaning!! It can seem like that for days at a time. It's always good to be reminded that His Word is the light out of the fog.

Visiting from Company Girls today. Have a good weekend.

Katharine said...

What a great analogy, and wonderful reminder! Have a wonderful weekend.

Rachel Anne said...

I'm a little bit of a weather geek so I love this illustration! I've got to admit to living in a valley of fog quite often - and rather than turning on the headlights I just complain about it. So glad God is patient with me. Here's to sunny days ahead!

Joyce said...

I love this illustration too. We've been having fog too...the literal kind. I love that image of His word being a light for our path. Our girls have been playing with their little lanterns lately and it is the perfect picture of how He guides us even in dark times.