This morning, as the kids were getting their breakfast, LR spilled her entire bowl of un-cooked oatmeal on the floor. Normally I would respond to that in frustration and shortness. Today I was actually surprised at my own reaction. As tears flowed down her face I reassured her that it was going to be ok and that I knew it was only an accident. I grabbed a roll of paper towels and started to mop up the mess on the cabinets and floor and then I noticed some of it was on her little feet and I began to wipe them gently until the oatmeal was gone. Immediately the story of Jesus washing His disciple's feet came to mind.
When he was done washing their feet He said to them, "You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you." (John 13:13-15)
I don't always respond with the love and tenderness that I did this morning. I often forget about the tiny eyes that are watching me, waiting for my reaction. So what made the difference this morning? I can only give the credit to the One who has washed my feet. He came to earth as a humble servant, and I will do my best to imitate His humility in my life, just as His Word instructs in Philippians 2:5-8.
"In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!"
After this morning I will be more aware of little watching eyes. I am thankful that where I fall short, there is grace and forgiveness. For these children are my precious gifts from God and I love them with all my heart.
Blessings,
Melissa
2 comments:
I am definitely humbled by moments like that. I guess it is a good thing that they are little bit of a 'reflection' of who we are. I am definitely challenged to be a better person because of my kiddos. And sometimes they will call me out on things too. =p
What a perfect moment for God to remind us of his humble servanthood. The way you described it I felt like I could picture it perfectly....a moment of grace extended to your daughter. Those moments often go deep into our kids hearts - and who would guess that oatmeal could be so meaningful??
Post a Comment