I have been thinking a lot lately about the reasons why I keep things. I would not consider myself a "pack rat" by definition. (A collector of miscellaneous useless objects, according to Dictionary.com) I would, however, fit into the category of someone who keeps things for sentimental reasons.
In the past 24 hours I have read two articles that addressed this issue. One was about making decisions regarding sentimental clutter, and the other was OrgJunkie's article on letting go of stuff and clutter excuses. When addressing the issue of emotional attachment, OrgJunkie said "Our memories are so wrapped up in physical material possessions…..that isn’t where the memory is and you know it. It’s in your heart…the stuff just triggers the memory for you….so many of us are afraid we will forget."
That's me. I tend to keep things because they trigger an emotional memory for me. Perhaps I think one day I will not be able to recall certain moments in life unless I have a physical item to cling to. Maybe I just have a hard time letting go because I wish that I could hold on to the past. Some things I have kept simply because they remind me of a loved one that has passed away.
I'm working on it. I don't save cards anymore unless they have a special, hand written letter in them, (like the ones from my grandmother) and those have a small box that houses them. I no longer collect key chains or other souvenirs when we go on vacation. If I really want something I buy a t-shirt instead and then when it's worn out and its usefulness to me is gone, I toss it. I take pictures of my kids' special projects and store them on my computer instead of in a box.
This challenge has really got me looking around my house and asking myself a lot of questions about the things I own. I'm finding myself on the road to simplicity and I think I'll like it there once I arrive!
What is your #1 reason for keeping things around?
2 comments:
I'm the exact same way! Now to find some uninterrupted time to sort through it. I'm working on scanning some stuff, but it takes so long....need to conquer e-clutter in the future too.
I keep things for the same reason. I am trying to get better, but oh my...so much "stuff" accumulates over the years.
Post a Comment