Friday, February 5, 2010

Company Girl Coffee 2.5.10

Welcome! Come on in and have a virtual cup of coffee or tea and visit for a while. It's been a busy week here. It was packed full of appointments, lunch dates, and school awards assembly. I also worked on my new project, the laundry room. Many of you know Org Junkie. This month I joined her 28 day Organizing Challenge. You can just scroll down to read about my progress, or take a look at my before pictures.

In my perfect world, the laundry room would be spotless, with cupboards for this, and shelves for that. There would be a beautiful tile floor and neat, organized stations for laundry, household supplies, and perhaps even some linen storage. I dream of stainless steal, front load washer/dryer on pedestals so that I can do the laundry with ease. It's a picture perfect, sparkling room right out of Home and Garden magazine!

But let's get real here...

I am lucky to have a fairly large sized laundry room. It runs almost the full length of my basement. There is plenty of room for junk, um, I mean storage, under the stairs. I've got floor to ceiling shelves at one end of it that serve as my overstock pantry. Plus, even though it's under ground, there are two windows to let the sunlight in. The problem is, since the room is so large, it has become a collect-all space! Thus, the reason for my joining in the challenge.

Yesterday a friend of mine came over and together, we came up with a plan. It has three phases, and I will be sharing them here. Stay tuned this month for the great transformation! :)

What's your "catch all" room in your house?

Have a great weekend everyone!
~Melissa~

9 comments:

Stephenie said...

Our laundry room has a closet that seems to serve as a catch all. Have fun with your organizing challenge. I llokforward to seeing the transformation.

One More Equals Four said...

Do I just have to choose one room? The laundry room has my shelves for our not being used right now school books and it becomes the dumping place for backpacks, projects etc. My kitchen countertops become the dumping place for anything anyone brings in and doesn't want to put away immediatedly. It is ALWAYS cluttered and it drives me CRAZY!

Good luck, can't wait to see the progresss!

Erin said...

Ah, I hate my laundry room, mostly because it is small and greatly mis-laid out (OK, that is not a word.) I have many ideas for it, which includes knocking down a few walls and reorg. a few doors, all that means is it isn't happening anytime soon, that also means it is the dirtiest and least organized room in the house, ugh.

Happy organizing, can't wait to see pictures, so be sure to post some.

Aiming4Simple said...

Oh that laundry room. Rachel once compared it to an armpit, and it my house that is so accurate! Things get so bad in there that we have to take drastic steps. Last year my husband took ALL the laundry to the laundromat while I cleared the remaining fuzz and clutter. This week I went to the laundromat and washed 4 loads there at once!

Right with ya,
Julia

Anonymous said...

A better question for me is what ISN'T a catch-all room in my house lOL

Anonymous said...

I wish we had a laundry room, but our washer/dryer is just in the garage...our very small garage. Way to go on getting so much done already! I'm at a standstill because...I just am...no excuse, I just want to get to bed at a saner hour. Can't wait to see how everyone's spaces turn out.

samantha said...

Our garage is a catch all in our home. I've just barely started organizing it. I think I will continue working on it Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing your after pictures.

Cari Kaufman said...

My bedroom and our garage. They catch EVERYTHING....I think I am headed over to org junkie's sight now!

Anna said...

The area of our living room where our desks and bookcases are collect most of our clutter. I'm trying to work on them for the 28 day challenge.