Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Christmas Surprise

When Rachel asked us to share a Christmas memory this morning over at Home Sanctuary, my mind began spinning with tales of Christmas' past. First I thought of marching through the woods to find the perfect Christmas tree as a child. Years of opening one present on Christmas on Christmas Eve and the anticipation of a stocking filled with little treasures brought a smile to my face. Then there were the Christmas dinners! Oh, we never had a very fancy spread, but you could always count on a full house. Our doors were always open to employees from our store that didn't have anywhere else to go. Never let it be said that there weren't enough seats around our table.

Yes, I have many fond Christmas memories. There is one though, that my thoughts landed on this morning that is very dear to my heart. It was nine years ago, and we were spending Christmas at my in-laws. I had been married to my loving husband for six years by then. It was no secret that we were trying to get pregnant with our first baby at the time, but with much difficulty. In fact, we'd been trying for almost four years with no results. With the support and prayers of family and friends and the help of doctors, we held out hope that one day we would become parents.

I love spending Christmas with my DH's family. They open one gift at a time so that everyone can share in the excitement. We didn't have much money that year, but we did have one gift that we put under the tree for his parents. It was one simple envelope. We were sure to place it way at the back, hidden under all the other gifts and it was marked "Open Me Last."

When my Mother in Law finally held the envelope in her hands, she questioned the mystery of it all. We told her that it was a Christmas surprise. You could feel the suspense in the room and all eyes were on her as she opened it.

In the card was a photo and a note. The note went something like this:

"Dear Mom and Doug, in 7 months you will be a Nana and Papa! We're having a baby!"

The photo was a copy of my first ultrasound. Tears began to roll down my Mother in Law's cheeks as we announced that we were finally pregnant. It was a Christmas miracle and the best gift that year. God had answered our prayers.

RL is 8 years old now, and she has three brothers and a sister! To hear the entire story of my journey into motherhood, you can read this post.

Thanks for letting me share my Christmas memory here. I look forward to reading some of yours also.

May God bless you as we reflect on the story of His birth this Christmas Season.

10 comments:

Andrea P. said...

That made me cry, friend. I love you, RL, and all your little miracles.

Cheryl said...

That was precious to read! Definitely has to be the best Christmas ever!

Anonymous said...

That's a great Christmas surprise! =)

secondofwett said...

Oh, I love your Christmas memory...a new child is the very best! Merry Christmas!

Shawna Atteberry said...

What a cool way to let you in-laws know they were going to be grandparents! I'm so glad you were able to have the family you wanted. Merry Christmas!

the.bain.family. said...

oh I teared up reading that! what a great way to tell them

Debbie T said...

Soooooooo sweet. What a special Christmas...

Les & Sweetie Berry said...

You are precious! Have a joyful and merry Christmas!
hugs
Sweetie

Kim said...

Oh, I knew I liked you. What sweet memory! We tried 5 years for my first baby. I will have to post on it someday! God is good and He blessed me with 2 sweet gifts! Merry Christmas!

One More Equals Four said...

What a precious memory! I got chills! Hope this Christmas is just as memorable for you!