
Hi, and welcome to coffee! Or tea, or whatever happens to be your beverage of choice. Mine happens to be water right now. I've come to really enjoy Company Girl Coffee. I don't get to post all that often, so Fridays are one of the days that I allow myself a little extra time to reflect and blog. Sorry for those of you who aren't ABBA fans, I couldn't resist! Just scroll down and pause if you want. : )
What I want to share today, has come up more than once this week. Usually, when something comes up more than once, I know that there is a lesson involved. This particular lesson has to do with penny pinching. Growing up, my mom really taught me well. She taught me the importance of saving your money, and spending wisely. She is the one that showed me how to make a budget, balance my checkbook, and plan for the future. I love her for that, and I hope to pass on the "good stewardship" lesson to my children.
Here are a few things we do around our household to be good stewards...
- Make out a budget and stick to it. There are all sorts of books you can read and classes you can take to do this. Our family just made my own list of bills and money spending categories on my computer. It cost us nothing and we have it to refer to often.
- Balance your checkbook. Not just balance it, but reconcile it against your statement for anything you may have missed. It's never good to find out too late that you don't have enough money in your bank account to pay for bills. Not to mention the overdraft fees that the bank charges on top of being overdrawn.
- Plan a menu and shopping list, and stick to it. I realize that schedules can change at the last minute, but I try really hard to stick to my menu plan.
- Use coupons! I keep mine categorized so that when I go to do my shopping, I can check to see if I have any coupons that coordinate with my grocery list. I DON'T, however, buy something, just because I have a coupon for it.
- Watch for great sales on regular used items and then stock up on them. Here's where I like to use those coupons that may not be on my grocery list. For example, if cream of chicken soup is on sale (which is a staple in our house) and I have a coupon for additional savings, I will stock up my pantry so that I can then "shop" from my pantry at a later date when there might not be such a great deal out there.
- Don't eat out on a regular basis. We hardly ever eat out as a family, but save it for special occasions.
- Drink coffee at home. You'd be amazed how much "coffee dates", or "coffee with the girls" can add up. I like to invite my girlfriends over to my house and put on a pot here instead. Not only is it more cost effective, but it's more personable too.
- Plan out date nights and save up the money for them. We don't have baby sitting in our budget yet, so we like to take advantage of relatives being here, or swap babysitting with a friend. Then we do something low cost like ice cream, or dinner where we might have a gift certificate. It doesn't have to be fancy to enjoy each other's company.
- Plan family recreation that doesn't cost a dime. Go to the park. Take walks together. Play board games. (Assuming you have as many lying around as we do.) This time of year, we have fun just stepping out into the back yard and watching stars. Keep it simple, and it doesn't have to cost you anything.
- Make a list of things you need and plan to pay CASH for them. If you don't have the money now, then you don't really need it that badly. Prioritize. Pray about the things you think you really need.
I could go on and on, but I've run out of time. If you want to read more about money saving tips, I suggest you visit here. XBOX Wife has a great list of her own. : ) Thanks for visiting! I look forward to sharing coffee with all of you this weekend!
Luke 16:10-11 "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?"
4 comments:
I recently started the last one (already putting the other tips in affect.) It really helps to plan my monthly spending knowing that the haircut scheduled for the end of the month has already been written into the budget.
That's a great list!! Everyone can always afford to learn how to save a bit more anyway they can!
God bless,
Sallie
http://www.angelfire.com/sc/anderklan/seasidetales/index.blog/1342719/ive-discovered-a-sad-truth-about-myself/
Great tips! Thanks for all the info.
Great ideas! I can see some areas in which I need to be more careful - making a meal pland and sticking to it and clipping coupons are two things I don't do very well.
Post a Comment