Friday, September 26, 2008

Talking Matters

Well, it's been a long week, and I'm glad it's Friday. I thought before I turn in for the night I would take a little time to have a cup of coffee with some Company Girls. I have decaf on hand for all of you out there who prefer it this late in the day!

This week my favorite small thing was "Talk to Me, Babe!" The idea was to sit down and talk to your man about what they'd like to talk about. This task wasn't too hard for me this week because there is a lot going on in our lives right now to talk about. A new job for one. My dh just got hired on as the new Worship Pastor at a local Church where we live. We also talked a lot about his current job...realty. He's closing two deals right now, while transitioning into his new job. His week was packed with meetings and phone calls. Somehow in the midst of it all though, we connected and I asked him not one question, but several. About his day, his meetings this week, and how he's handling this transition.

He shared his fears with me as well as some of his dreams, plans, and goals for the future. He talked about the difficulties of working two jobs at once, and opened up about the excitement of beginning a new chapter in our lives. What an incredibly intimate time we had together, all because I showed interest in what matters to him. It made me realize how important it is to genuinely show interest in what my loving dh has to say.
From Fantasy Football (which I now have a better understanding of) to job transitions, when my dh talks, I'm going to try harder to open my ears and heart and listen. After all, I am his wife, his helper, and his best friend.

Genesis 2:18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

5 comments:

Forgetfulone said...

That is fabulous! I'm glad you were able to have a great discussion with him. Nice to meet another company girl.

Rachel Anne said...

What a wonderful way to connect. It amazes me sometimes what is going on under the surface of our guys, while they are busy working and providing and taking care of business. Really beautiful. You are a wise woman!

And I'll NEVER understand fantasy football....:)

Lylah Ledner said...

i totally love this! blessings...lylah

Anonymous said...

I really did stop by on Friday and tried to leave a comment, but I don't have this relationship between Blogger and Wordpress figured out yet.

Isn't it neat how much a husband opens up when his wife is truly interested.

And, what a blessing to be getting into the ministry. I am thankful every week for the way our worship leader brings us into the presence of God.

God's blessings on all of you.

Carol said...

What a great message. It is so easy to forget our spouses during the course of our hectic lives.