Friday, September 12, 2008

Great is His Faithfulness

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. " Lamentations 3:22-23

Ever have one of those days where you just can't wait for it to end? The kind of day when you can hardly wait to crawl under the covers, close your eyes, and wake up to start a new, better day? I have. Yesterday was that day for me. It seemed like it was never going to end.

Author Brooke Noel has good things to say about bad days. "I don't have bad days. While there are moments during the day that can be challenging or troubling, very rarely do I let that moment seep into the attitude of the entire day. If my morning is challenging, then come lunchtime I take a moment to clear my mind and "restart my day" anticipating nothing but the best for the afternoon. Surely, there is joy to be found each and every day. If we let a challenging circumstance set the stage for the entire day, we miss that joy and the opportunity of the day at hand."

She is not the only one that has good advice about bad days. The psalmist says in psalm 118:24 "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." It is a verse that I have had memorized since I was a small child. I have recited it over and over. I have sung the words many times in several different versions of song. I have meditated on it in moments of sadness, anger, and stress.

Yes. There is there is joy to be found in each and every day. Even if it is hidden in the small places of life. An answered prayer. A child's smile. A kind word spoken by a friend. If we focus on the positive things throughout our days, the not so great becomes less of a burden. Then, at the end of a tough day, we can be reminded of what the old Hymn says.

"Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father; There is no shadow of turning with Thee; Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not; As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be."

No comments: