Saturday, September 20, 2008

Come on in for Special Breakfast!

I love Saturday mornings! Especially this time of year. The kids are back in school, so Saturday becomes our "lazy day". We lounge around in our pjs in the morning cuddling, and watching cartoons together. Then around 8:00am or so, I make "special breakfast." The kids have gotten to where they wake up with excitement, wondering what they're having each week. I like to mix it up with a variety of homemade items, along with french toast, pancakes, eggs, potatoes, and bacon. (Not all at the same time, of course!)

On these mornings I am often reminded of my childhood and our own "special breakfasts" Whether it was in my own childhood home, or visiting at my grandparents, there was sure to be some sort of great smelling "brunch" being thrown together in the kitchen. Some of my fondest memories of my grandparent's house are going out to dig up some potatoes, scrub them, and prepping them for fried potatoes and ham. Yep, we were a breakfast family alright. We even sometimes had breakfast for dinner!

Ok. So my breakfasts aren't quite that homemade. I get my potatoes from the store, not my garden. But I put just as much love and preparation into my cooking. And this morning, I just happen to be using a recipe handed down to me from my grandma. We call it Pull-Apart. Some people call it monkey bread. It's quick, easy, and yummmmmmy! : ) I've been helping to make it or making it myself ever since I can remember.

For Company Girl Coffee this week, (and the small thing for Tuesday) I thought I'd share this yummy recipe with all my friends. (Hope you don't mind, grandma!) I have cut it in half to work in a bread pan, but my grandma used to make it in a round bundt pan. Enjoy!

Grandma's Pull-Apart:
2 cans biscuits
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tbsps cinnamon
1 stick butter or margarine
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine cinnamon and sugar. Cut biscuits into quarters and roll in cinnamon & sugar mixture. Place in bread pan in two layers. Melt butter over medium heat. Add remaining cinnamon & sugar mixture and stir until boiling. Pour over biscuits. Bake for 25 minutes. Flip upside-down on plate and enjoy!

Oh! There's my timer now! I'm off to enjoy some yummy cinnamon Pull-Apart with my kiddos! : )

3 comments:

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

I thought I'd drop in to meet and say hello! Have any leftover Pull-Apart to go with the coffee?

Thanks for sharing your grandma's recipe with us! It sounds delicious, and I think the kids will love it!

Hope you had a blessed weekend!

Anonymous said...

Love the pics of the family. The Special Saturday Breakfasts are a great idea. Wonderful memories for you and your kids!

Rachel Anne said...

I love this idea, Melissa! I was just thinking about finding a recipe for monkey bread, which I think is similar but this sounds easier. Butter and sugar and cinnamon...oh boy, what could be better??

Wish I'd stopped in earlier, but my internet has been down all weekend! Ack.