Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Journey of Motherhood

I am so thankful for all of the women in my life that are on this journey of motherhood with me. Some of them are further along than others. They have children, grandchildren, and even great grandchildren. I have friends with 1 or 2 children, and up to 8 children. We are all in various stages of our journeys, but we have one thing in common. Motherhood.

Motherhood, although extremely gratifying, can be exhausting at times. Day in and day out there are certain tasks that have to be performed over and over. Take meals for example. I plan a meal (if I'm on the ball), make a meal, serve a meal, clean up a meal. Then I do it again at lunch, and again at dinner. The next day I get up and well, you get the idea. I start all over! This is only a small part of my daily routine as a wife, mother, and homemaker.

On most days, I do these things with joy. Do I always feel like making a meal? No. Do I do it out of love to serve my family? Yes. I can't manage my household and love my family by serving them only when I FEEL like it.

What I am learning more and more about motherhood is that I need to lean on the strength of God and the women that He has brought into my life as mentors and friends. I am not alone in this. I'm not the only mother who grows weary at times. I see it all around me. In friends, family, and women at church. I notice the weary expressions on their faces and I listen to the stories that seem to say "I feel so discouraged."

When I look at my "to-do" list every day I realize that even if I get everything marked off on Monday, there will be a new list waiting for me on Tuesday. Who wouldn't feel discouraged by that? I have read countless books on homemaking, organizing, and parenting. Many of them have been helpful. I have adopted several techniques and incorporated lots of different ideas into my routine and lifestyle over the years.

No matter what though, I keep coming back to one book. God's Word. It is filled with promises of hope, strength, and rest. When I read it, I feel comforted and encouraged. It provides everything I need to keep pressing on in my journey of motherhood.

That's reason enough for me to wake up every morning and serve my family wholeheartedly. Not only that, but I will encourage those around me to do the same. I offer them the same encouraging Words that God whispers in my ear every day. Listen closely. Can you hear Him?

"I am with you my daughter...don't give up."
"There is a harvest waiting for you, so don't give up."

I still have hard days. The important thing is, I look to Him to be my strength. God has blessed me with so many women in my life that I can't help but be energized by them. Just one look around me and I know that I am not alone. And I will do my best to make sure that every mother that crosses my path in this lifetime knows that as well.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we don't give up." - Galatians 6:9

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hello...I saw your post on Home Sanctuary and wondered if you would share the scone recipe. :)