
The morning we arrived at the office, there was a mix-up. My pediatrician had told me they wanted to do the procedure that Monday, but the hospital couldn't fit him in until the following Monday. Luckily, they were very understanding and worked him in. We just had to wait for an hour or two before there was an opening in the busy schedule. While we waited and JS played, I wrote this...
Waiting. I hate waiting. Waiting on the phone, waiting in line, or any other type of waiting you can think of. Yet here I am in the Pediatric Surgery office waiting for someone to come and tell me they have an open time slot for my son to have a necessary procedure done. You see, there was a mix-up in the scheduling and so here we are, waiting for them to fit us in.
The thing about waiting is this; I can handle waiting if I know how long it will be. For example, we were supposed to check in at 7:30am and the procedure was supposed to happen at 8:00am. I know that I was going to be waiting about a 1/2 hour. I can to that. Now though, they have told me it's going to be at least an hour, and that was an hour ago! Open ended waiting is not my idea of fun.
Sometimes it's like that when we're waiting on God, isn't it? We've taken the time to pray and put things in His hands. It's now out of our control. We can trust that He will take care of things in His own timing. The answer is forthcoming and all we have to do now is wait.
Easier said than done. As I sit here and watch my son grow antsy, I am reminded of what I sometimes do when I am waiting for an answer from God. I pace, I worry, I get bored with waiting. I do anything but sit still and know that it's under control.
God has my answer, just like JS will have his appointment. The difference is that God doesn't need to "fit me in". He is almighty, and He is there for me always, by my side, while I wait. I'm working on it. Meanwhile, I am thankful that God is patient with me while I fidget and squirm.
Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God
4 comments:
Hi! My name is Becky, and I've popped over sometimes to read your blog (can't remember how I got here one day...but I did!)
Thanks for this post. It was such a great reminder for me! My husband is a Marine currently deployed, and I'm "waiting" for him to come home. The end is in sight, but we're still waiting for a definite date, so then I can book my flight and make it out to see him. Then we have a lot of things we're "waiting" on the Lord for after he comes home. Needless to say, I have been very antsy! It is totally out of my control. Some of my antsy-ness is excitement and some is the unknown. Evenstill, God is in control...and yes, He is very patient with me too as I am constantly learning. I'm glad everything is ok with your son! Thanks for opening your blog to others!
Hi! Me again! Thanks so much for your note! Yes, what "fun" to pack for a large family! :) I'm a fan of large families and the craziness that comes with them!! I hope it's ok that I attached a link to your post. I really appreciated it and thought others would too! Let me know.
~Becky
Hi :) I found you through Becky's blog...this post really spoke to me today as I have been quite antsy lately in waiting on God in His perfect timing. Mind if I link you?
I saw your comment on Heather's blog. I guess I'm only half as busy as you, but hang in there.
Vickie
Post a Comment