Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Trust and Obey

Lately I have been working with my 5yr old on obedience. He's a good kid. It's not that he acts out a lot or does a lot of bad things. He just has been a little stubborn lately in the way that he responds to me when I ask him to do or not do something. His dad calls it "sassing". That's pretty much it. I say something and he is quick to come back with "but I wasn't" or "I didn't" responses. It's getting very old, and I have finally started to show him that there are consequences to not respecting mommy. I am trying to be consistent with him, or there will be consequences for me, the older he gets. Not to mention when he becomes an adult out on his own and needs to respect his boss, or other authorities.

That being said, I have been thinking a lot about my own views on obedience. I am always telling my children to "listen and obey." I believe that God asks the same childlike response from me. He wants me to listen to His instructions, and obey them without questioning Him. It is called trust. I need to trust that God only wants what's best for me, just like my children need to trust that I only want the best for them. When I don't listen and obey, there are consequences. Consequences that not only effect me, but those around me that I love.

So, while I am working on my son's "listen and obey" skills, I am also asking God to work on me. Hopefully, with time, God will cultivate obedience in both of us.

It's like the old familiar hymn says:
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
To be happy with Jesus,
But to trust and obey.
(Text: John H. Sammis 1887, Music: Daniel B. Towner)

1 comment:

Rachel Anne said...

Awesome post...wise mama!